Thread: AutoCAD not saving files

All AUGI, all the time Liamnacuac's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default AutoCAD not saving files

This has happened to me inthe past, and it happened to a worker yesterday. you work on a drawing , open other drawings simultaneously, and close the files normally, but yet, when you come back to the drawings, the next day, not all of your changes are in the drawing.
    It as if you didn't save the files, which is what I have always thought that I had done (hit the NO question insead of YES), I'm a terribly sloppy mouse picker
    But this drafter is a 20+ year veteran and is quite confident she didn't accidentally close the files without saving.
    we checked the dates of the bakup files, and the saved work was about 24 hours old. it is almost like something is overwrititng the files or autoCAD is closing without actually writitng back to the network.
    Has anyone else experienced this, and if they have can they direct me in a direction to figure out what is going on? Could there be a problem writitng and no method fore getting an error message? If I remember right, Microstation will tell you if a file was saved or not saved as it closes a file..

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: AutoCAD not saving files

A general rule of thumb with AutoCAD is that if it sees a change in a file, it will prompt you to save when you quit out of it. If you save as the last command prior to attempting to quit, it recognizes that and will not prompt for another save.

That being said, unless there is something going on with the network or network connectivity, I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't have saved. Did they get any type of error warnings while working? Is there anything in the System Event Log that might shed some light on this?

Are there any AutoSave files on this users computer that might bring them closer to finding their missing work?

Login to Give a bone

The only odd item I saw was that the person saved down three versions in their options (I have them saved down one version, two if we are in the middle of a Acad version update). This seems reasonable to me as the problem. None-the-less, I would expect an error message. For crying out loud, we get a warning message about everything else!

Quote Originally Posted by bcgatti View Post
    A general rule of thumb with AutoCAD is that if it sees a change in a file, it will prompt you to save when you quit out of it. If you save as the last command prior to attempting to quit, it recognizes that and will not prompt for another save.

That being said, unless there is something going on with the network or network connectivity, I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't have saved. Did they get any type of error warnings while working? Is there anything in the System Event Log that might shed some light on this?

Are there any AutoSave files on this users computer that might bring them closer to finding their missing work?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Since you mentioned that they are saving down a version, could they be accidently choosing DXF instead of DWG? It's easy enough to do when you are scrolling through the Files of type: menu.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by bcgatti View Post
    More specifically, if DBMOD /= 0, then AutoCAD will prompt you to save, period. That said, there is no substitute for a good old QSAVE.
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Login to Give a bone

I'll give this a shot (it goes in the Icon launch, right?) and see how it goes. I also changed the save options to do a full CRC and create a log file, soi can see what's going on.

Quote Originally Posted by rkmcswain View Post
    More specifically, if DBMOD /= 0, then AutoCAD will prompt you to save, period. That said, there is no substitute for a good old QSAVE.

Login to Give a bone

visretain = 1 or In OPTIONS, under the Open and Save tab, there is a check box for "retain changes to Xref"... check that box and it should work.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Maybe it's just a wrong version of software is used there?

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Liamnacuac View Post
    This has happened to me inthe past, and it happened to a worker yesterday. you work on a drawing , open other drawings simultaneously, and close the files normally, but yet, when you come back to the drawings, the next day, not all of your changes are in the drawing.
    It as if you didn't save the files, which is what I have always thought that I had done (hit the NO question insead of YES), I'm a terribly sloppy mouse picker
    But this drafter is a 20+ year veteran and is quite confident she didn't accidentally close the files without saving.
    we checked the dates of the bakup files, and the saved work was about 24 hours old. it is almost like something is overwrititng the files or autoCAD is closing without actually writitng back to the network.
    Has anyone else experienced this, and if they have can they direct me in a direction to figure out what is going on? Could there be a problem writitng and no method fore getting an error message? If I remember right, Microstation will tell you if a file was saved or not saved as it closes a file..

i hope its not too late but i found a solition for that issue
    you need to press to the A button first and than go to the "draving utilities" and than "recover " but thre are two recover options you need to choose the "xrefs" one... i was crying until i found out that. but i dont knoe the main reason of this eror.. do you know what is it?