Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Room Tag "Box Size"

Login to Give a bone

Default Room Tag "Box Size"

With all of the teeth gnashing and hair pulling going on about Revit 2010, I'm almost reluctant to ask this question.

I'm a new user working my way through the 2009 tutorials and I'm deep in the part about "Setting Up Your Template and Office Standards". This section is taking me quite awhile to work my way through and understand some of the concepts, and hope like heck I'm making right decisions in setting up my template.

I've taken the default room tag, saved a copy, and have edited my copy to make it look like I want (font style, size, etc.). When I insert it into a room, the graphic box "outline" around the room number is larger than I'd like.

Is there a way to resize that box? I've looked in the default file but can't seem to find any way to revise it. I've done a search in the forum but haven't been able to find an answer.

Thanks for any help,
    Carl

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Room Tag "Box Size"

I didn't realise (or had forgotten) that the box around text in the room tag family seems to be controlled by parameters.

If you open the tag family click on a line of the box around the dummy text, you can click on 'Instance Properties' (top left of screen in Revit 2010) - and it also seems possible to change the default line style of 'Room Tags' to 'invisible'.

In properties, on the right end of the line containing the greyed out 'Visible' parameter is a tiny button with an = sign on it.

Click that and it takes you to some existing parameters.

Maybe someone with more experience of fiddling with these parameters can tell us the limits of what you can do with this although it looks fairly self-explanatory.

The results probably will not show up until you load the tag family into a project?

Login to Give a bone

William,
    Thanks for your reply.

I opened the tag family to edit it, however I don't see any box lines around the dummy text. When I select one of the rows of dummy text, it highlights red, however I don't see any way in the "Instance Properties" to change any line types.

The tag family doesn't have an outline box around the room number line of text, however when the room tag is inserted, an outline box appears around the room number when it's placed in the Revit file.

Is there some sort of setting that has been toggled to make the box invisible when I'm in the tag family trying to edit?

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong but for the life of me, I can't figure out what.

Thanks,
    Carl

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

In the family editor, make sure all objects are actually turned on. If I remember, the box lines are turned off in the OOTB version of the tag.

Login to Give a bone

thanks Scott - you're right,

although I can see a box around the text in the Tag called Room Tag (1).rfa, the reference planes and dimensions controlling the box are not visible.

Turning them on via View Properties shows as attached screenshot.

In my Metric Library I have several room tags:
    Room Tag (1).rfa, Room Tag (2).rfa, Room Tag - Large.rfa, Room Tag - Medium.rfa, Room Tag - Small.rfa, Room Tag - XLarge.rfa
    but only the first two have boxes around any of the text.

Maybe Imperial Library content is different?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

This seems so simple, yet I can't achieve the same effect that you have shown.

I've opened up the room tag.rfa, typed in the command "VP" to see the view properties, and then have gone to the Visibility / Graphics overrides, and have selected the "edit" button.

Once the edit button has been selected, the dialog box that opens shows 3 tabs - model, annotations, and imported elements. The model categories are completely blank, the annotation categories are all "grayed" out. I'm not sure where to go from here.

Once the VP command is typed and the dialog box opens up, if I select "Edit / New", the resulting dialog box is for listing the type parameters, however that whole box is blank. I see the "=" mark to the right but since there's nothing in the box, selecting it has no effect.

In trying to create my template the way I'd like it to appear, I'm probably spending way too much time and effort on this, however it seems to me that I've got to learn to jump over the low hurdles before I try the high hurdles.

Thanks for your help,
    Carl

Login to Give a bone

Interesting, but I think I see what is happening now.

I downloaded the Imperial content for 2009 and you only have the one Room Tag and it does indeed give you a box around the room number.

If you open the tag family, then go to View Properties and the Annotation Categories tab, everything is greyed out...

but I notice that there is a check box top left called 'Show annotation categories in this View'.

Click that and the other options are no longer greyed out, so that when you return to the View of your tag you can see the box around the label for room number.

At least that's how it worked for me.

If you want to change the Object style of the lines around the room number label, by default called 'Room Tags' - to make them thicker for example or a colour, then you can do that from the main menu at top of screen, Settings->Object Styles.

Login to Give a bone

William,
    You hit the nail right on the head!

That did the trick and it was a good lesson for me to always look for those toggle switches that can affect how items or information is displayed.

Many thanks,
    Carl

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Along these same lines, is there a way to change how close the leader lines come to the actual tag? I noticed that leader end is lines up with the edge of the room name, and is lines up with the top of the text box that is around the room number. is there a way to change that so it actually connects with text box, all the time?

Login to Give a bone

Not that I've seen so far - the leader line is probably part of the hidden parameters set up in the provided Room Tag template.

The only options I can see are on or off.

Some other Tags such as Window Tags can set leader length.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast