Thread: Beam Annotation Tool Bug

Login to Give a bone

Default Beam Annotation Tool Bug

I don't know that I should truly call this one a bug, but it's not the way the tool should work.
    If you need to add some framing to a plan after your sheets are already set up and looking good (ie you've gone and hidden all he stuff you don't want to see on that sheet) and you use the beam annotation tool you get an error message that says "Some elements have tags hidden in this view. These elements will be re-tagged and hidden elements will be revealed."
    First off this makes no sense to me. I just placed these beams, I deleted the tags they came in with. I just want to tag these new beams. In order to use the tool, I now have to waste a bunch of time to go back though my drawings and hide all the stuff I've already done. I thought this program was supposed to make thing faster and less repetitive. I guess I was wrong. This tool works great for the most part, but this aspect of it just sucks.
    Am I missing something with this tool, or is this just another one of those "Opps, I guess we'll pass the issue to the development team which might get to it about 2015"
    Or am I missing one of those fine check boxes somewhere along the way.
    Thanks in advance.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Beam Annotation Tool Bug

I am not quite sure if this is what you are refering, but thought I would mention it. When you click on the Beam tag tool, it will default to tag all beams in the view. What seems to work better is to click on a beam, then click on the beam tag tool. Then it will default to selected beams, and only tag your selection. Also watch for replace existing tags setting.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

I was only selecting the new beams I added. Not the "tag all" option.
    I selected the individual beam, unchecked the "replaced existing tags" still got the same error.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Is there a way to get this Beam Annotation Tool to save it's defaults? I know it's not that much time to click each box and select the tags each time (as well as setting the offset) However, I want to set this in our template so people don't screw it up.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Yep, just open up your template and set the beam annotation tools how you like. and save. The next time you start a project with that template they will be there!

Login to Give a bone

This is still an issue in my mind.
    I don't want to re-tag all the items. I just need to tag a few new beams.
    I've used the hide object in view for misc annotation that's outside or on the edge of the view. ie I don't want them to show up in that dependent view.
    But if I use the Beam Annotation tool, it un-hides anything that I've hidden. So it causes re-work.
    The tool shouldn't work this way. If I only want it to tag one beam, I don't want it to effect the other work in the view.