Thread: show beams below as dashed lines

Login to Give a bone

Default show beams below as dashed lines

does anyone know how I can show my structural beams (underside of slab) in plan as hidden lines. I have tried setting the underlay and changing the view range but that ends up revealing too much; I just want to see the beams. Thanks for the help.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: show beams below as dashed lines

steel beams or concrete beam, concrete beams linework should show as hidden if viewing thru slab. if you want steel beams linework to show as hidden, then change VG settings for structural framing change lines pattern to hidden, steel framing has options to place framing on multiple object layers for structural usage example girder, bracing, joist etc. you may want to edit each one or setup filter to change all steel linework to prevent messing with concrete framing objects.
    Last edited by dmahan; 2013-07-05 at 06:45 PM.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

you could also apply a view filter to control the look of specific types of beams in your views.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

If you want ALL the beams in your project to be hidden lines (in regards to steel anyway) you would want to change the Object Styles of the Girder, Joist, Purlin, Other subcategories under the Structural framing category like dmahan mentioned.

If you want them to only be hidden in ONE view then use VG (visibility graphics overrides dialog) like Dmahan mentioned.

If you only want a portion to be hidden lines, then you could use a view filter like Rtaube mentioned...

Make sure your working in Hidden Line and not Wireframe.

If you are dealing with concrete elements, edit the framing family, and there is a "Display in Hidden Views" property that can be set to something like.. "Edges Hidden by Others" "hidden by itself" or "All Edges". Set that to what you need and then reload it into your project.

If all else fails select them all and right click> Overwrite in view> By Element and change their linestyles that way... but be prepared for future beams to be solid line and anger yourself and your co-workers.