Thread: Newbie trying to understand central files vs. import revit files

Login to Give a bone

Default Newbie trying to understand central files vs. import revit files

I am a newbie to working with central files. I have received from an outside Architect a large revit file and need to add specific furniture and sign elements to the file.

I am trying to find an easy solution to using central files and what are the steps I should take in using this file?

Should I open the central file they sent and then re-save as a new file or should I import their central file as a revit link ?

What is the best way so I do not disrupt their files but allows them to import my additions back into the central file at their site?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Newbie trying to understand central files vs. import revit files

I'd link their model as a Revit Link into your file. Use Origin to Origin as the insertion point and then place your furniture and sign elements as needed.

That way when you send them your file for coordination purposes, they will link it into their model using Origin to Origin and everything "should" line up. No manipulation needed at all.

Login to Give a bone

when i tried linking it the model showed up but all the levels were just the same as when iI started a new projects , How do I set my settings so I can move around insidethe model and face attach the generic models where I need them oneachfloor, then take some 3d views at certain points?
    Do I need to partial explode the model?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

If they are using multiple levels then you will need to create levels to match. You can accomplish this by using the Copy / Monitor Command. It is located under Tools > Copy / Monitor > Select Link.

The process is explained in pretty good detail under "Multi-Discipline Coordination" from the Help file.

You will then create plans that match the levels that you wish to see and adjust your visibility as necessary per each view.

Unless there is a pressing reason to do so, you should never bind and explode a linked Revit model.