Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shared vs Project Parameters for Schedules

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Shared vs Project Parameters for Schedules

I'm just starting to learn how to do schedules in Revit, and trying to figure out the best way add the parameters I want to show up on my schedule. It seems like I can either use project parameters or shared parameters. I have listed below what my understanding is regarding both of these types and the advantages and disadvantages of either route. I was wondering if someone who knows this program better could look it over and clarify anything I'm misunderstanding, and also give some advice on how to proceed with parameters that I want to show up on a schedule. I am doing mechanical design with Revit. Thanks in advance.

Project Parameters:
    - associated with project
    - associated with a specific category (air terminals, ducts, etc)
    - must apply to all elements in a selected category, for example, project parameters for diffusers will associate with any diffuser brought in to the project

Advantages:
    - new families brought in to the project will automatically have the parameters based on their category (air terminal, mechanical equipment, etc)

Disadvantages:
    - mechanical equipment will have irrelevant parameters (CFM for pumps, for example)
    - we can't use the parameters in tags

----

Shared Parameters:
    - associated with .txt file
    - may or may not apply to all elements of a category

Advantages:
    - irrelevant parameters for other mechanical equipment will not show up on those families
    - we can use the parameters in tags

Disadvantages:
    - we have to apply the parameters to new families we bring in

---

I like the idea of using project parameters because it could all be worked in to the template, but I can't find any way around having a parameter I want only for a pump, for example, also show up as a parameter for an air handler. Any ideas? Thanks.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Shared vs Project Parameters for Schedules

From what it sounds, it would probably be best to used shared parameters to create your project parameters. This way you dont have to weight down your template. more often than not shared parameters are going to be the way to go. hth

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Mcgregage View Post
    From what it sounds, it would probably be best to used shared parameters to create your project parameters. This way you dont have to weight down your template. more often than not shared parameters are going to be the way to go. hth
    Thanks for the response, I'm not entirely sure I understand though. Are you saying you would just use shared parameters associated with each family or is there some other way I might 'use shared parameters to create project parameters'.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by timsea81 View Post
    Thanks for the response, I'm not entirely sure I understand though. Are you saying you would just use shared parameters associated with each family or is there some other way I might 'use shared parameters to create project parameters'.
    I use both, shared parameters in families for some things and project parameters for others. Don't feel you need to "standardize" on one thing. You will find that each project will bring its own requirements.
    Matthew Danowski, PE, LEED AP BD+C
    Project Electrical Engineer
    Baltimore, MD

Login to Give a bone

Hear's a related questions. If I used the shared parameters, the way I was thinking would be to come up with Groups within the shared parameters .txt file for each of the schedules I might have. Then, as equipment is added to the project, I will be adding the parameters to the those families so that they will show up on the schedules. For example if I add a pump family to the project, I will have to add the parameters in the 'pumps' group to the family.

Is there a way to do this other than go through one at a time? It won't let me select more than one at once from where I am doing it now.

Login to Give a bone

Hear's a related questions. If I used the shared parameters, the way I was thinking would be to come up with Groups within the shared parameters .txt file for each of the schedules I might have. Then, as equipment is added to the project, I will be adding the parameters to the those families so that they will show up on the schedules. For example if I add a pump family to the project, I will have to add the parameters in the 'pumps' group to the family.

Is there a way to do this other than go through one at a time? It won't let me select more than one at once from where I am doing it now.
    No, unfortunately, but that is generally how we handle our parameters as far as equipment type is concerned.
    Matthew Danowski, PE, LEED AP BD+C
    Project Electrical Engineer
    Baltimore, MD

Login to Give a bone

From my first post i meant that when creating project parameters and instead of leaving the default family parameter checked, check shared parameter and then apply the one you are looking for.

as for your most recent question, to each his own for shared parameter organization, i know adsk will not be doing it that way though. but yes you can only apply shared parameters one at a time.

now my turn to ask a question, why are you not just applying parameters in your families? unless you are using out of the box content.

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Shared Parameters are just that "shared" between projects and families. The shared parameter file is a "dictionary", it stores the definitions of information (parameters) that you want to use in either projects or families or both.

When you want a parameter to cause a family to change its physical properties you must use a family parameter.

When you want a project to affect many families at once with the same piece of information but it doesn't actually change the family geometry then a project parameter is the most efficient way to do it.

Now both scenarios can be created using a Shared Parameter which opens the doors to scheduling, tagging and changing the geometry within a family too.

When you store a piece of information in a family it is "trapped" there so to speak. Unless we use a shared parameter and it is also added to a Project as a Project Parameter it won't be available in your schedules.

A tag is also a family. When you want to tag a family according to a parameter in the family it has to be a shared parameter. You use the Shared Parameter file's definition to create the parameter in the family, in the tag family and if necessary in the Project as a Project Parameter.

It can be confusing...should be "simpler" if possible but it isn't yet.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

In your project, go to Settings>Project Parameters>choose shared parameters>select the shared parameters that you want added to the project. This way, when you load a new family that doesn't have the parameter built into it, the parameter will be added through the project environment. Unfortunately, this is still going to be added to all families of selected categories. Blah

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Mcgregage View Post
    now my turn to ask a question, why are you not just applying parameters in your families?
    I am. The idea I'm leaning towards is to create groups of parameters that are associated with each schedule. Then, for each commonly used family I am including in the template, I will go through and add these parameters by opening the family, going to 'family types...', and adding the shared parameters. Later, when I'm working on a project that uses some piece of equipment I have not included in template, before loading that family into the project I will add the same parameters. Using Groups to classify the parameters with the schedule the equipment will be listed on will help me keep track of which parameters to add to new equipment.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast