Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cut Plane Association...

Login to Give a bone

Question Cut Plane Association...

Good afternoon everyone.

I'd like to see if anyone else has had the following problem, and if so, how was it finally resolved.

I am working on a project, in which we currently have 3 separate architectural models; 2 separate buildings and a site plan. The problem: when I try to setup my view range for specific views (i.e. just view the 3rd floor of one of the buildings) I can't set my own Cut Plane. The cut plane is defaulted to something and it's also grayed out. I tried changing my Top Clip thinking that somehow the Cut Plane was associated with my Top Clip but that didn't work. This is a problem right now because I am working within a model that has 3 separate architectural models and the Cut Plane associated with one of the views is not even part of the building I am working on. ← This makes it difficult to work with the view range...Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Cut Plane Association...

You might want to experiment with Plan Regions.

All AUGI, all the time mwiggins121466's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Are u in a floor plan or RCP? can you post a screen shot of your view range?
    Margaret Wiggins
    Revit MEP 2006 and Greater
    Electrical Designer
    Detroit, Michigan
    wigginsm@yahoo.com

Login to Give a bone

Red face Re: Cut Plane Association...

Thank you for the replies. It doesn't matter what type of view I am working on. It can be a Floor Plan, Roof Plan or Ceiling Plan. When I try to adjust my View Range my Cut Plane is grayed out and I cannot define something specific to what I want. So, I have to cut sections through various areas of the building to figure out where the associated Cut Plane is at, so that way I can play around with the offset and get my view just Right.

Creating Plan Regions all over my model is too time consuming. ←I only use these when necessary. (i.e. ceilings at different elevations, high and low roofs, etc.)

This is quite a hassle when you have your Cut Plane being associated with a building that you're not working in at that given moment.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

It will always be gray, unavailable to change.

The associated level of a view cannot be changed. You therefore cannot change the associated level for the cut plane of the view. You can only move the cut plan up or down relative to the associated level.

If you imagine each of the settings as a plate of glass, you can move them up or down, all relative to the same associated level. They can't be moved beyond the plate of glass above them or below them. They can occupy the same elevation but can't exceed another's.

You can also adjust the others by choosing a specific level but Revit is offering that as an easier way to define a height or depth. Everything in View Range is still in the context of the associated level of this view however. How much higher do you want Revit "look" above the level, how much lower. But not, let's use another level for the cut plane. In Revit's sense of things that would dictate another view and its own level.

Regardless...you can alter the settings to move the cut plane up or down...and the others all relative to that too.

I'm going to make the assumption that you have not used the Copy/Monitor feature to create equivalent levels in your own project? Ideally one of the first things you'd do when you link the arch model(s) into your project is coordinate the Levels and Grids (if necessary). This way you'd have a level for each level they have and if theirs change Revit can help you catch that change. Since there are several models, are they the same building broken into pieces or three separate buildings...or that touch one another? Is there an override design consideration that suggests it is better to put them in one RME model? Such as they all use the same central plant that is within one building?

Ultimately to do what it sounds like you are asking for should be possible if you make sure you have equivalent levels in your project file. If at all possible, use a separate model for each unique building.
    Last edited by Steve_Stafford; 2009-05-08 at 10:53 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Post Re: Cut Plane Association...

Mr. Stafford,

Thank you for your insight. First and foremost, I did copy/monitor the various levels for the various buildings - all separate buildings - using the the same central plant. Hence the reason for using the same model. I can see why revit would associate levels with specific views, but in my case it doesn't work quite the way I would like it to. If the level associated with the view I am working on is from a different building, which by the way I don't have shown in the view, how would I proceed in setting up my View Range with minimal effort? As I've mentioned in my previous posts, I have to cut sections through various areas of different buildings to see where the cut plan is in relation to the building that I am working on. Would you happen to have a different approach?

Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

All AUGI, all the time mwiggins121466's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Make a copy of the arch model and open it up and look at how they did their views.
    Margaret Wiggins
    Revit MEP 2006 and Greater
    Electrical Designer
    Detroit, Michigan
    wigginsm@yahoo.com

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by lammarlon View Post
    how would I proceed in setting up my View Range with minimal effort? ...Would you happen to have a different approach?
    You can apply the same view range the architect does through Visibility Graphics. Let me know if I can explain or if this sounds interesting...

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

When you are in a floor plan view you can as another poster implies "tell Revit" that you'd like to see the floor plan of the other model(s) and or display the link according to your projects view range or the linked file. You need to look at the Visibility/Graphics > Revit Links Tab and take a closer look at overriding the link settings.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

did you get an answer - it is so annoying

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast