See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: CAD competency and performance standards

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    2003-10
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    22
    1 Did you find this post helpful? Yes

    Cool CAD competency and performance standards

    This is a list I got from a local Autocad Retailer and I have seen a list like this from I believe Autodesk. I think this list ranks somethings to high and does not include alot of stuff. Does any one else have a list like this or know where to get one ?

    An Autodesk retailer has defined these CAD competency and performance standards to help employers assess prospective and current employee skill levels. Take a look and see how you rank and see which skills you may want to work on to achieve the next level.

    Entry Level AutoCAD User:
    1. Able to operate the CAD workstation native environment – hardware and operating system software.
    2. File management, knows how to open, save, find, and copy files both on local workstation and over a network.
    3. Create basic geometry using the 2D draw and modify commands.
    4. Easily work with real-time pan and zoom.
    5. Utilize drawing aids such as snap, ortho, and osnap.
    6. Organize entities onto appropriate layers.
    7. Able to determine the scales of various hardcopy output.
    8. Create annotation (text and dimensions) in a professional style and size.
    9. Understands page layouts, viewports, plot styles, and plotting.
    10. Can use template drawings.
    11. Uses inquiry commands to assure accuracy.
    12. Effectively use blocks and the Design Center.
    13. Able to edit with grips and selection sets.
    14. Understands orthographic and multi-view projection.
    15. Able to use the Help utility.

    Experienced AutoCAD User:
    1. Able to develop professional drawing templates.
    2. Create multi-scale views on one page.
    3. Know how to use trans-spatial text and dimensions.
    4. Utilize object and layer filtering.
    5. Globally edit entities.
    6. Analyze and apply methods to accurately create complex geometry.
    7. Streamline repetitive tasks.
    8. Able to load and use LISP and VBA applications.
    9. Use raster images and external references.
    10. Create custom linetypes.
    11. Use special fonts.
    12. Create, use, and extract attribute data.
    13. Collaborate effectively using internet tools.
    14. Able to convert and use multiple unit modes and data entry modes.
    15. Develop, view, and render complex 3D objects.
    16. Knows command sequence and defaults by memory.
    17. Import and export text and drawing entities.
    18. Understands effective use of MDI (Multiple Drawing Interface) and the Design Center.

    Advanced AutoCAD Mastery:
    1. Able to apply the most efficient methodology to produce complex drafting projects.
    2. Use of vertical AutoCAD products for specialized tasks.
    3. Customize toolbars, buttons, and menus.
    4. Use LISP at the command line and in basic routines.
    5. Able to install and configure the AutoCAD software as well as plotting, printing, scanning, digitizing, and other related devices.
    6. Able to use internet tools for support.
    7. Able to troubleshoot drawings for flaws and be able to correct them.
    8. Develop and apply CAD drafting standards.

    Principal Designer/Engineer:
    1. Not necessarily the CAD drafter but one who uses CAD as an engineering tool.
    2. Able to use CAD to solve design problems.
    3. Uses CAD to eliminate the need for complex mathematical solutions.
    4. Understands all aspects of 2D and 3D geometric construction.
    5. Knows all aspects of CAD project documentation.
    6. Able to collaborate in multiple media and software.

  2. #2
    Certifiable AUGI Addict Wanderer's Avatar
    Join Date
    2001-12
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    4,698
    0 Did you find this post helpful? Yes

    Talking Re: CAD competency and performance standards

    I don't know about the rankings, but, that's a nice reference list, I think. Thanks for sharing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by spaynter
    This is a list I got from a local Autocad Retailer and I have seen a list like this from I believe Autodesk. I think this list ranks somethings to high and does not include alot of stuff. Does any one else have a list like this or know where to get one ?

    An Autodesk retailer has defined these CAD competency and performance standards to help employers assess prospective and current employee skill levels. Take a look and see how you rank and see which skills you may want to work on to achieve the next level.

    Entry Level AutoCAD User:
    1. Able to operate the CAD workstation native environment – hardware and operating system software.
    2. File management, knows how to open, save, find, and copy files both on local workstation and over a network.
    3. Create basic geometry using the 2D draw and modify commands.
    4. Easily work with real-time pan and zoom.
    5. Utilize drawing aids such as snap, ortho, and osnap.
    6. Organize entities onto appropriate layers.
    7. Able to determine the scales of various hardcopy output.
    8. Create annotation (text and dimensions) in a professional style and size.
    9. Understands page layouts, viewports, plot styles, and plotting.
    10. Can use template drawings.
    11. Uses inquiry commands to assure accuracy.
    12. Effectively use blocks and the Design Center.
    13. Able to edit with grips and selection sets.
    14. Understands orthographic and multi-view projection.
    15. Able to use the Help utility.

    Experienced AutoCAD User:
    1. Able to develop professional drawing templates.
    2. Create multi-scale views on one page.
    3. Know how to use trans-spatial text and dimensions.
    4. Utilize object and layer filtering.
    5. Globally edit entities.
    6. Analyze and apply methods to accurately create complex geometry.
    7. Streamline repetitive tasks.
    8. Able to load and use LISP and VBA applications.
    9. Use raster images and external references.
    10. Create custom linetypes.
    11. Use special fonts.
    12. Create, use, and extract attribute data.
    13. Collaborate effectively using internet tools.
    14. Able to convert and use multiple unit modes and data entry modes.
    15. Develop, view, and render complex 3D objects.
    16. Knows command sequence and defaults by memory.
    17. Import and export text and drawing entities.
    18. Understands effective use of MDI (Multiple Drawing Interface) and the Design Center.

    Advanced AutoCAD Mastery:
    1. Able to apply the most efficient methodology to produce complex drafting projects.
    2. Use of vertical AutoCAD products for specialized tasks.
    3. Customize toolbars, buttons, and menus.
    4. Use LISP at the command line and in basic routines.
    5. Able to install and configure the AutoCAD software as well as plotting, printing, scanning, digitizing, and other related devices.
    6. Able to use internet tools for support.
    7. Able to troubleshoot drawings for flaws and be able to correct them.
    8. Develop and apply CAD drafting standards.

    Principal Designer/Engineer:
    1. Not necessarily the CAD drafter but one who uses CAD as an engineering tool.
    2. Able to use CAD to solve design problems.
    3. Uses CAD to eliminate the need for complex mathematical solutions.
    4. Understands all aspects of 2D and 3D geometric construction.
    5. Knows all aspects of CAD project documentation.
    6. Able to collaborate in multiple media and software.
    Melanie Perry @MistresDorkness
    Archibus System Administrator
    Technical Editor
    not all who wander are lost
    (missing MEP/FP and Revit)

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    2005-01
    Location
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Posts
    23
    0 Did you find this post helpful? Yes

    Smile Re: CAD competency and performance standards

    I would like to say that this is something that I have been trying to come up with as well. I am glad that you posted this information though. This will definitely help me to get started with our own user levels.

  4. #4
    Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Join Date
    2012-07
    Posts
    1
    0 Did you find this post helpful? Yes

    Default Re: CAD competency and performance standards

    So no-one with LT can be experienced, then? Dammit.

  5. #5
    Programming Moderator BlackBox's Avatar
    Join Date
    2009-11
    Posts
    3,748
    0 Did you find this post helpful? Yes

    Default Re: CAD competency and performance standards

    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
    I don't know about the rankings, but, that's a nice reference list, I think. Thanks for sharing it.
    1+

    Quote Originally Posted by clintonhohneck405668 View Post
    So no-one with LT can be experienced, then? Dammit.
    Welcome to AUGI!

    The state of being 'experienced' is relative to one's own situation.

    For example:

    Riding a bicycle with training wheels really, really well, just isn't quite the same as taming a 450 CC 4-Stroke dirt bike at a motor-cross race. You've gotta crawl before you walk, every bit as much as you've gotta ride before you can fly.



    *Missing watching 'Crusty Demons of Dirt' videos*
    "Potential has a shelf life." - Margaret Atwood
    AutoCAD® 2014, and Civil 3D® 2014 Certified Professional | Autodesk® Authorized Developer
    Autodesk Exchange Apps ~ Autoloader ~ AutoCAD Security

  6. #6
    I could stop if I wanted to Norton_cad's Avatar
    Join Date
    2007-05
    Location
    Bardwell Valley, Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    487
    0 Did you find this post helpful? Yes

    Default Re: CAD competency and performance standards

    Ohm's Law - Electricity follows the path of least resistance.

    Regards,

    Mark Norton,

  7. #7
    Programming Moderator BlackBox's Avatar
    Join Date
    2009-11
    Posts
    3,748
    0 Did you find this post helpful? Yes

    Default Re: CAD competency and performance standards

    Quote Originally Posted by Norton_cad View Post
    Awesome.
    "Potential has a shelf life." - Margaret Atwood
    AutoCAD® 2014, and Civil 3D® 2014 Certified Professional | Autodesk® Authorized Developer
    Autodesk Exchange Apps ~ Autoloader ~ AutoCAD Security

Similar Threads

  1. Performance
    By luc.hamel in forum Revit MEP - General
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 2011-06-21, 07:20 PM
  2. performance???
    By dyanosik in forum Inventor - General
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 2009-01-14, 11:51 PM
  3. Performance
    By yuen_kevin in forum NavisWorks - General
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 2008-06-05, 10:59 PM
  4. CAD performance - what does it take?
    By dhallett in forum ACA General
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 2008-05-15, 10:55 PM
  5. 08 VS 09 Performance
    By olson in forum ACA General
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2008-05-08, 02:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •