Thread: Education Outlet?

Login to Give a bone

Default Education Outlet?

I'm looking to expand my knowledge of the use of AutoCAD. I graduated six years ago and went to work for a company that used AutoCAD LT. For the past six years I've used nothing but the basic CAD commands to draw roof plans and details, that for the most part are repetitive My company has made the investment and upgraded to AutoCAD Design Sweets mainly for the Full AutoCAD and Revit package. Now I'm taking a three day class the beginning of November on Revit but I need some refresher on Full AutoCAD. I'm tired of being a mediocre CAD operator and want to use this program for the power it is... Does anyone have suggestions on learning tools? Books, Magazines, websites, or classes? I'm probably not capable of getting anything reimbursed thru the company and would be on my own for cost so probably not looking for crazy expensive options just yet. I'd like to be great at my career and give myself a leg up if I would ever decide to change jobs. Any suggestions the community has would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Education Outlet?

Quote Originally Posted by Blitsch View Post
    I'm looking to expand my knowledge of the use of AutoCAD. I graduated six years ago and went to work for a company that used AutoCAD LT. For the past six years I've used nothing but the basic CAD commands to draw roof plans and details, that for the most part are repetitive My company has made the investment and upgraded to AutoCAD Design Sweets mainly for the Full AutoCAD and Revit package. Now I'm taking a three day class the beginning of November on Revit but I need some refresher on Full AutoCAD. I'm tired of being a mediocre CAD operator and want to use this program for the power it is... Does anyone have suggestions on learning tools? Books, Magazines, websites, or classes? I'm probably not capable of getting anything reimbursed thru the company and would be on my own for cost so probably not looking for crazy expensive options just yet. I'd like to be great at my career and give myself a leg up if I would ever decide to change jobs. Any suggestions the community has would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    Well, if they're not reimbursing your expenses, I'll assume Autodesk University is out? I learned a lot there because it was the only place I could see people teaching applications for Facilities Management (we tend to use a unique set of tools). You could probably sign up to stream old classes on specific topics through AUonline.

First things first, for magazines, AUGIWorld has a great AutoCAD Column, and you can find all of the articles in the Library.

If you need a reference manual, I can only speak for the four texts that I have edited over the years, but, my favorite desk reference out of those four is the AutoCAD Bible. The tips sprinkled throughout are really good. And, if you want to really beef up your AutoCAD acumen, you'll really love the chapters Lee Ambrosius writes on customization and lisp.

You can also do online/dvd training through companies like Global E-Training, CADLearning and Infinite Skills.
    I haven't used the first and the last of that list myself, so I can't personally comment on value; I did use CADLearning for Revit Architecture about 5 or 6 years ago and thought they were pretty good.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
    Well, if they're not reimbursing your expenses, I'll assume Autodesk University is out?
    Yea I tried to pitch them the Vegas idea this year and they thought I was joking... We are just a small company of 50 total employees eight that work in the office, me being the only CAD drafter...

Login to Give a bone

Coming from old blighty (UK) I can't say where the best place for you to train would be. However there are plenty of things online to help you along
    try here FREE Tutorials http://www.we-r-here.com/cad/tutorials/index.htm or through AUGI CAD Learning http://www.augieducation.cadlearning.com/ although I'm not sure this is free.

A final note I can't find it but there is a website that sells DVD tutorials again you pay for the pleasure.

Good luck in your quest............

Login to Give a bone

As always, ask questions here first. Also, use the search tool. There's 12 years of knowledge stored here. You could look at Lynn Allen's tips on Cadalyst.com (hosted on YouTube Cadalyst channel). They're short videos under 5 min.
    C:> ED WORKING....

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Blitsch View Post
    Yea I tried to pitch them the Vegas idea this year and they thought I was joking... We are just a small company of 50 total employees eight that work in the office, me being the only CAD drafter...
    Hey, it doesn't hurt to try. The worst they could do is say 'no.'
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor

Login to Give a bone

Login to Give a bone

Even though this is a pretty old thread, I really find the suggestions very useful. Don't know if the user is online anymore or no but thank you for recommending the site as well as the channel

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Stephbaker View Post
    Even though this is a pretty old thread, I really find the suggestions very useful. Don't know if the user is online anymore or no but thank you for recommending the site as well as the channel
    That's great. Always good to have these references, you never know when they will come in handy.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Technical Editor