Thread: Project information workset

Login to Give a bone

Default Project information workset

I have a project information worksets problem. We are A/E so on many projects we have our Architects using RAC2009, Structural Engineers using RST2009 and MEP guys using RME2009. So on one project, we’ll have (at least) 3 central files, one for each discipline(our MEP all use the same central file). These files are LINKED to eachother by overlay. If someone goes to edit the Project information in any of the platforms on their file, it will tie up the Project Information for ALL of the other files. It’s like they are connected. But their not really, because you can edit them seperately, and have different information displayed. So, for example, the project status can be different.
    Any one know why this is happening?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Project information workset

This sounds interesting, I'm guessing here. It sounds like it was set up as a shared parameter, and the templates for all 3 are using the same one, so therefore all central files are sharing it. It isn't 3 separate parameters. as it sounds like it should be.
    Have you asked support?

All AUGI, all the time ajayholland's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Hi Rachael!

When you say, “tied up” do you mean that the ‘Project Info’ Workset is made editable?
    In my numerous experiments with the practice of linking local files, I noticed the interaction involving project info of linked central files.

Try linking local copies instead. Let me know if it resolves the problem.

And say “hello” to all my friends at Little.

~AJH

Login to Give a bone

Yes, Jay, that would work(but not really). I guess my question is...is Revit really "designed" to work this way? The sell was live/real-time linking. So linking a copy is not real/time. The other flaw in what you suggest is....if someone has it checked out by chance, then making a copy (using windows explorer) and linking the copy into my model would still require me to open that copy, as that user, and release that project info workset. And if you did this daily, or every couple of days....it's still a drag.
    And I still don't see why they need to be connected. I mean, it'd be one thing if I inserted the project owner, address, etc in my arch file, and my engineers could have that immediately fill in the info in theirs, but it doesn't work that way. And I'm not really sure I'd want it to. But it doesn't! So why are they connected AT ALL? Just confused.

Login to Give a bone

Elisa,
    Project Information is a system family. So it's not anything that I created. I think eery revit project has it, whether you use it or not. And so the check box, when you return to central is the Project Standard workset..but its about the Project Information that you get when you use the Settings Pull down (2009). I think it's probably not a common problem, because I think most companies either don't have engineers linking directly or they do as Jay suggests and make a copy. But I want the promise...real-time.
    Thanks for you thoughts!
    rachel

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Ritchie View Post
    . . . . The sell was live/real-time linking. So linking a copy is not real/time. . . . .
    In "real-time" do you mean you want them to see their changes happen as they work? I've worked with engineering in-house and we still link a detached copy of their central, and they do the same. I didn't want to see their constant changes and they definitely didn't want to see ours, it was very distracting.
    I haven't come across this problem with the Project Information issue. Most engineers already have it as part of the title block and don't bother to change it, in-house or not.