See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: #$&%! - why can't Autodesk at least provide at least the BASIC REVIT family in MEP?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: #$&%! - why can't Autodesk at least provide at least the BASIC REVIT family in MEP?

We are out of Washington and we use oval ducts on almost every job.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: #$&%! - why can't Autodesk at least provide at least the BASIC REVIT family in MEP?

We use Flat Oval alot, here in Kentucky.

I could stop if I wanted to dmb.100468's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Stafford View Post
    Most of the firms I've worked with use Oval duct as a preference here in the US. It is more efficient than rectangular and "looks nice"...so in exposed ceiling conditions they prefer oval. I hear about the lack of this capability from the majority of HVAC engineers I meet in the US.
    and yet it still doesn't exist in Revit MEP....

With all the "ranting and raving" maybe we should hold a Town Hall Meeting in the wish list forum.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

I agree with the original post. Revit MEP is very lacking. Almost everything in the building industry requires a work-around. It is not a productive tool unless your are doing super-simple tenant-finish type proejcts. I just spent 2 hours routing one 3/4" pipe about 20 ft., which would take about 1 minute in AutoCAD. Now I want to put in a thermostat symbol - just a circle with a T in it - and nothing! the idea that we have to spend the time to make a family for that is nuts. Most people I talk to, including architects, are using Revit for coordination and "aesthetics", and it does make sections quickly, but not for details. Consultants are avoiding it like the plague. Not only does Revit not have oval ductwork (yes we use them in the USA), but even the rectangular ductwork has very little flexibility in fittings. Fees in this industry are exceedingly tight, and the lack of productivity using Revit is an extreme problem. Autodesk would do well to create lots and lots of useful families if they want the Owners of engineering and architectural firms, the ones who pay the bills, to actually like the product.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by mhaughey344313 View Post
    Not only does Revit not have oval ductwork (yes we use them in the USA), but even the rectangular ductwork has very little flexibility in fittings.
    Revit MEP has had oval ductwork for 3 releases. Nice rant.

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

It is a reply to a thread that faded in September 2009...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123