Thread: Parametric Title block & Scalable Logo/Family

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Parametric Title block & Scalable Logo/Family

Two questions.

When I created title blocks for ACLT I used dynamic parameters to adjust size and a dropdown for presets.

Q1. Has anyone created a title block with types containing preset sizes, is there a good reason why it should be avoided? I think it should reduce file size.

We have a company logo with the font stored as vector graphics and no idea what the font was originally. I want to create the logo as a family (linebased detail I think-please comment) rather than insert a raster image. Also, lines are too short for text as the logo is 35mm wide! How's it done?

Q2. How do you make a scalable family? I miss being able to just scale things up or down. Revit doesn't seem keen on the idea. Is there something i'm missing?
    Last edited by barrie.sharp; 2009-06-23 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Addition

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Parametric Title block & Scalable Logo/Family

Quote Originally Posted by barrie.sharp View Post
    Q1. Has anyone created a title block with types containing preset sizes, is there a good reason why it should be avoided? I think it should reduce file size.
    Most experienced users just create separate title block files for each size, as the work to create the parametric titleblock is considered to be so much work it simply is not worth the effort.

Making a Titleblock that is scale-able can certainly be done. Although it might reduce file size of the family, Revit would now have to run through those "settings/calculations" for every sheet in the project every time it loads the project, each time a new sheet is loaded into a view for you to look at it, etc.

We have a company logo with the font stored as vector graphics and no idea what the font was originally. I want to create the logo as a family (linebased detail I think-please comment) rather than insert a raster image. Also, lines are too short for text as the logo is 35mm wide! How's it done?
    Some in this forum have tried scaling it up 10 to 20 times, doing the linework, and then scaling it back down. I don't know if this works, or ends up deleting the short lines once it is scaled back down. Most just scale an image of the logo to the exact size (in mm) needed, and place this on the title block.

Q2. How do you make a scalable family? I miss being able to just scale things up or down. Revit doesn't seem keen on the idea. Is there something i'm missing?
    Revit will scale lines up and down, but does not like to scale geometry as well. IF you want to scale up a filled region, edit it, select the sketch lines, and revit will scale those sketch lines, then finish the edit. This has also worked for me on many simplistic types of geometry, like floors, etc.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Parametric Title block & Scalable Logo/Family

Once again, very helpful response! I was wanting to scale filled regions but all I needed to do was scale it whilst editing the boundary.

Great points about the title block. I will stick to induvidual families.

Much obliged