Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Importing Sketchup files to Revit and asigning render materials

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Importing Sketchup files to Revit and asigning render materials

We are having issues importing a Sketchup file into Revit and changing the materials to revit ones for rendering.

We have tried:

(1) Modelling in Sketchup using components for things like walls, then putting them on a layer and importing into Revit. If we try this method, and alter the Imported Objects material for that layer, it still renders in a default white material. This is our preferred way of working in sketchup.

(2) If we model in Sketchup and dont use components (i.e. use groups instead) we can change the materials in Revit. This is not how we generally work in sketchup.

Is this a bug/known issue with Sketchup import?

Thanks

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Importing Sketchup files to Revit and asigning render materials

Why not just model in Revit? I've created multiple proposals in hours with the program information, square footage, and many other parameters built into the model.

Sorry to not answer the question...

Login to Give a bone

That is what I would usually do - I dont know how to use sketchup myself.

We have a Sketchup user who doesn't know Revit and just want me to do some renders of a model that she is going to make. I need to let her know how to model it in sketchup so that it imports into Revit in a way that I can change the materials for rendering.

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Teach her Revit, lol...

Login to Give a bone

My guess is that it isn't really a bug or issue, but more of a just the way it is. Without me really looking into it, I would think of it this way...
    If you build a family in Revit, and nest in another family, but only the main family has material properties, you won't be able to control the material of the nested component.
    I think that is more or less what you're getting in Sketchup. When you make something a component in Sketchup, it treats it like it's own family and needs to be edited and saved seperately, whereas, if you just group things together you can still control them natively.
    So, when you import a Sketchup model with components instead of groups you are only able to modify the main model and the component portion maintains it's original settings.
    So, I've a couple thoughts. One, start using groups in Sketchup. She could model everything in Sketchup in your preferred workflow (with components) and then explode the components before sending to Revit.
    Two, you could bring in each Sketchup component separately into a Revit Family as if you were nesting them.
    Third, use Revit. I actually prefer to model walls, windows, floors, roofs, etc in Revit (since that is what it's designed to do). In sketchup you have to group, and make components and use layers, and it can become a pretty big mess if you miss something. So once I have it started in Revit, I'll export to Sketchup and tweak and add you custom content that's easier to model in Sketchup.

Login to Give a bone

We were faced with a similar issue. We purchased Vray for Sketchup and it turned into a good workflow option. It's easy to port building geometry to Sketchup from Revit and quickly get decent renderings, while using the huge inventory of available "stuff" out there for the Sketchup environment. This is for early design work of course.

Login to Give a bone

Looks like you're looking for something to render sketchup models. In which case Kerkythea is a decent and amazingly free program that is pretty simple to use: http://www.kerkythea.net/joomla/.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

No, the OP was asking how to get Revit materials assigned to a Sketchup object once it is imported into Revit. I am facing this issue myself, since a sketchup object was the only way I could get an elevator machine into a complicated elevator family.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Hi,

What you could do is to import your skp file into a mass family > finish family > create wall/ roofs etc. by face.

Check out this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsE1hNOfb48

REgards,

Stephan

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Red face Re: Importing Sketchup files to Revit and asigning render materials

Or--Export to 3D Autocad from SU, import the Acad into Revit and apply materials
    via Imported categories-----have had mixed results with that.

LOL

cheers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast