Thread: Importing Sketchup files to Revit and asigning render materials

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Importing Sketchup files to Revit and asigning render materials

We are having issues importing a Sketchup file into Revit and changing the materials to revit ones for rendering.

We have tried:

(1) Modelling in Sketchup using components for things like walls, then putting them on a layer and importing into Revit. If we try this method, and alter the Imported Objects material for that layer, it still renders in a default white material. This is our preferred way of working in sketchup.

(2) If we model in Sketchup and dont use components (i.e. use groups instead) we can change the materials in Revit. This is not how we generally work in sketchup.

Is this a bug/known issue with Sketchup import?

Thanks

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Importing Sketchup files to Revit and asigning render materials

Why not just model in Revit? I've created multiple proposals in hours with the program information, square footage, and many other parameters built into the model.

Sorry to not answer the question...

Login to Give a bone

That is what I would usually do - I dont know how to use sketchup myself.

We have a Sketchup user who doesn't know Revit and just want me to do some renders of a model that she is going to make. I need to let her know how to model it in sketchup so that it imports into Revit in a way that I can change the materials for rendering.

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Teach her Revit, lol...

Login to Give a bone

My guess is that it isn't really a bug or issue, but more of a just the way it is. Without me really looking into it, I would think of it this way...
    If you build a family in Revit, and nest in another family, but only the main family has material properties, you won't be able to control the material of the nested component.
    I think that is more or less what you're getting in Sketchup. When you make something a component in Sketchup, it treats it like it's own family and needs to be edited and saved seperately, whereas, if you just group things together you can still control them natively.
    So, when you import a Sketchup model with components instead of groups you are only able to modify the main model and the component portion maintains it's original settings.
    So, I've a couple thoughts. One, start using groups in Sketchup. She could model everything in Sketchup in your preferred workflow (with components) and then explode the components before sending to Revit.
    Two, you could bring in each Sketchup component separately into a Revit Family as if you were nesting them.
    Third, use Revit. I actually prefer to model walls, windows, floors, roofs, etc in Revit (since that is what it's designed to do). In sketchup you have to group, and make components and use layers, and it can become a pretty big mess if you miss something. So once I have it started in Revit, I'll export to Sketchup and tweak and add you custom content that's easier to model in Sketchup.

Login to Give a bone

We were faced with a similar issue. We purchased Vray for Sketchup and it turned into a good workflow option. It's easy to port building geometry to Sketchup from Revit and quickly get decent renderings, while using the huge inventory of available "stuff" out there for the Sketchup environment. This is for early design work of course.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

If you have Sketchup PRO, then you can export a 3D sketchup model to a 3D autocad model by exporting it as a dwg file, but that can only be done with sketchup pro, you cannot save or export as any readable file for revit or autocad with regular free versions. Also, if you want to convert it from revit to sketchup, and the sketchup program that you have can't read dwg files, then export through revit as a dwg file, then if you happen to have Autodesk 3DS max, even if you don't know how that program works, open it up, go to the pull down option in your options in the top left hand side and go to import, then you can import the dwg file, once it's been imported, now go to the same option pull down and go to export, now you can export it to "3ds" file type, and that can be imported into sketchup and be readable.

-3D modeler and Architecture/Furniture Drafter