Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: different wall base with ceramic tile

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default different wall base with ceramic tile

I have a wall type which has ceramic tile on either side of stud. I would like to be able to stop the ceramic tile 6" from the floor in order that I can use resilient sheet flooring with cove molding. This is typical for all walls with ceramic tile, so instead of having to edit profile or cut face or something (because I have yet to figure out how to do that....) is there a way to have the base of the wall show only the backer board and not the tile?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: different wall base with ceramic tile

We build tile walls as separate objects next to the main wall. Then these are filtered out so they don't show in plan....

All AUGI, all the time Justin Marchiel's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

you could create a reveal in the wall family that "cuts" the ceramic tile. the reveal would be as wide as you tile and as high as you want to create it.

The result will appear that the reveal has cut away the tile, just like you would like. and since it is built into the family, this change will apply to all walls. if you only wanted it on certain wall, i would create a void sweep that could be applied to singular walls.

Justin

Login to Give a bone

When you say you build tile walls as "separate objects", do you mean its own wall type or a family? And how do you "filter" them out in plan?

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

I use a wall sweep on a standard wall type integral to the wall type.. Set the wall sweep to be cuttable for the inserts. Attached is a simple wall example. I set the sweep to be the height needed. If you're doing elevations you can also just use wall sweeps - These sweeps (not integral to the wall ) would be able to be turned off using object styles.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by SkiSouth; 2007-07-10 at 11:46 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Alternatively, you could modify the wall structure by unlocking the tiled layer at the base of the wall.
    This allows you to nominate a base extension distance for the tiled layer in the wall properties dialogue box - creating an offset for the tiles.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Modifying the wall layer to unlock it works for tile on one side of the wall, but as there are two sides that must be unlocked, it cannot be JUST that solution, as unlocked layers must be adjacent to each other (and in this case - the center wall stud construction would separate the layers that would need to offset vertically)
    Last edited by SkiSouth; 2007-07-11 at 02:44 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Skisouth
    Modifying the wall layer to unlock it works for tile on one side of the wall, but as there are two sides that must be unlocked, it cannot be JUST that solution, as unlocked layers must be adjacent to each other (and in this case - the center wall stud construction would separate the layers that would need to offset vertically)
    Unlock the stud and gyp on each side of the stud.. Then pull it down. This will leave the tile off the floor on either side.

Login to Give a bone

Aaron, could you please reply to my previous questions? They were intended for you and I would like to try to understand what you're doing. There seems to be quite a few preferred methods, and everyone thinks their way is the best! I first made wall types that included the tile, but that necessitates splitting walls into multiple pieces. So, then I made the tile it's own wall, which works fine except the endpoints snap the the centerline of the perpendicular wall. That makes me wonder if the material take-offs will work properly. I also read that someone uses a sweep of some kind that allows you to pick the path, but I'm not sure how that would work. This is where my question for you comes in.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by aaronrumple
    Unlock the stud and gyp on each side of the stud.. Then pull it down. This will leave the tile off the floor on either side.
    Gotta love the Maharishi. Earns his keep every time...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast