Thread: exporting for daylight analysis

Login to Give a bone

Unhappy exporting for daylight analysis

I'm relatively new to Revit, so bear with me. I need to export a Revit file so that I can send the file to be analyzed for daylighting quality. Unfortunately, the company that does this analysis only works with Rhino, Sketchup, and dwg files. I've tried exporting a 3d dwg file from a 3d view in Revit, but I find that the layer structure of the .dwg file is insufficient. Revit lumps all interior walls into one layer, regardless of material, and likewise with exterior walls. I do not want to have to go through the dwg file and manually create new layers for each wall type.

What is the best way to get the various wall types from Revit into another file format that someone with Sketchup, Rhino, or Autocad could use? I do not need the wall types to be named by material necessarily--only that they be given different layers so that someone can apply material settings to them.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: exporting for daylight analysis

Especially for exterior and interior property of a wall, it is easy.... You have to find the dwg export layer options, where you can assign different layers to interior and exterior walls.

Assuming you are talking about RAC2010, go to the pulldown menu (click on the R icon) and find Export (scroll down) go to Options and go to dwg layer options...
    It is a text file that you can edit....
    Press the saveas button, save a copy of this file where you want it then edit with notepad and then back to Revit and load it... It will be the default for now on....

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: exporting for daylight analysis

Quote Originally Posted by grudy View Post
    I'm relatively new to Revit, so bear with me. I need to export a Revit file so that I can send the file to be analyzed for daylighting quality. Unfortunately, the company that does this analysis only works with Rhino, Sketchup, and dwg files. I've tried exporting a 3d dwg file from a 3d view in Revit, but I find that the layer structure of the .dwg file is insufficient. Revit lumps all interior walls into one layer, regardless of material, and likewise with exterior walls. I do not want to have to go through the dwg file and manually create new layers for each wall type.

What is the best way to get the various wall types from Revit into another file format that someone with Sketchup, Rhino, or Autocad could use? I do not need the wall types to be named by material necessarily--only that they be given different layers so that someone can apply material settings to them.
    Yeah, you could follow Dpasa suggestion above and that will separate your exterior walls in one layer and interior walls into another (as long as you set your exterior walls to Exterior and your interior walls as Interior under their properties). But if you want each wall type to be exported to a different layer, I don't think there's an easy way. You could create filters and apply them to wall category (you would need one filter for each wall type) and then filter off the types you don't want to see on your 3D view. Doing that you would turn ON only (and each) wall type you want to export and then export as many CAD files as wall types you have. Later you bind all together in one CAD file and rename the layers. At least you know that all walls from that type are in one layer, rather than having to go through the DWG and manually moving walls to another layer...

Andre Carvalho