Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surface Labels - Labeling Contours

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Surface Labels - Labeling Contours

I've created my surface and I've assigned a contour style. When I draw the line to label multiple contours, all appears good. Except when I go to print. The line I used to cut across the contours is showing up in my plots. I created the line on defpoints, but now the contour labels don't plot. Please help. What am I missing when wanting to label contours? Please help! Thanks!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Surface Labels - Labeling Contours

It is generally advised that you should not use the Defpoints layer. Some people still do, but it is better to use a layer that is set to "Do not plot".

However, the contour label lines are a special case. To turn them off, select the line, then go to Properties and turn them off. If you have a bunch of them in your drawing, you may want to select one, then right-click and "Select Similar", then change the Properties for all of them at once.

You can also alter the default settings so that these lines are turned off by default when you create them. That way you don't have to turn them all off after you create them.

All AUGI, all the time brian.hailey933139's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

If the contour label line is on a layer that doesn't plot (such as defpoints), then the labels won't plot either. Two options that I've found. First you can do as Sinc suggested or you can assign a color or plot style to the label lines that doesn't plot. I kind of like the second option better because I'll be able to continue to see the label lines in my drawing but they simply won't plot.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I tried what you both suggested. I created a contour label line that will cross the contours and will create the labels (312.4, 312.5, 312.6, etc.). I have drawn the line on a layer that I have set to No Plot. I have the same situation as if I had the line on defpoints. The contour label line does not plot, but neither do the contour labels themselves. What else can I try? Is there a basic variable that needs to be set that I'm missing? Please help!

Login to Give a bone

It was only possible to put the contour line on a non-plotting layer in earlier versions of Civil 3D. I think it changed with the 2008 version, although I forget now.

Instead, you now must use the contour label properties. Once you draw the lines, do a Select Similar, then in the Properties palette, set "Display Contour Label Line" to false.

To configure all newly-created lines so that they are automatically like this, so you don't have to change the Properties every time you create a label line, you can change the Drawing Settings in your drawing template as shown in the attached image.

If you want to use Brian's method, you have to use a color or plot style that doesn't plot - you cannot use a layer. To define a color or plot style that doesn't plot, you need to edit your CTB or STB file, and create an entry with Screening=0. (At least, that's what I'm assuming Brian meant.)
    Attached Images Attached Images

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

In the words or Rosanne Rosanna Danna, "It's always something"!!! I took your direction, and was able to apply the properties to the line to tell it not to plot. And it worked great. I'm getting my contour labels to show up just like I want them, with no line. Now, when I xref the file into my plan sheet, the contour labels now have boxes around them, and the contour lines are running through the text. It's almost like what I would get when I do a text mask. If that is a form of text mask, where do I change the setting to solve this problem? Sorry to keep bugging you about this, but I do appreciate the help.

Login to Give a bone

I don't know about that one. I haven't ever seen that happen.

Login to Give a bone

I am having this same problem any solutions?!!!

Civ 3D 2008

When I xref the file into my plan sheet, the contour labels don't have the contour lines running through the text.

But when I print the lines cut through the text.!!!!!!

Login to Give a bone

It sounds like to me that you have duplicate data contours. either there are two xrefs which both have contours in them or there is a data ref of the surface in the current drawing that is showing the contours over the contour labels. Check these and let me know what you find.

Dan

Login to Give a bone

I'm having this same problem... but I've found that the only time I'm getting this issue is with contour intervals that are decimals... i.e. 567.5, where 568.0 does not have this issue

EDIT: I'm using Civil 3D 2009

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast