Thread: Ecotect CFD

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Ecotect CFD

Alright

I've tried doing this and failed so far, however I'm sure I'm getting close just not sure how to get it in. I'm using Ecotect 2009.

I've tried importing NIST fds with no success. The model goes into Smokeview fine and runs the flow which I can view however getting this data back into ecotect is proving to be elusive.

I've also created a much more comprehensive CFD model in IES VE, again I have been able to do this with no issues and export the .cdf file but again when trying to bring it into Ecotect I encounter one of the following 3 errors.

Firstly this will always appear. Regards of whether it's the NIST or the cdf

Grid files come in two formats. The new format
    uses cx,cy,cz instead on (cx-1),(cy-1),(cz-1).

Select type of file?

"New" "Old" "Cancel"

If I go new then I get the following message

(Error: Out of memory!

Attempt to resize grid failed.)

Followed by

(Error: Out of memory!

Could not initialise 3D data grid.)

If I go old then I get the same messages.
    using the .out file that NIST creates when you run a simulation this repeats the same as above but sometimes generates an exception error.

Now I believe the issue is configured to the analysis grid in Ecotect not matching up with the grid that the CFD package has produced. I thought this data would have translated when I prepped my data in Ecotect (I'm just running an Airflow grid) and exporting to fds for NIST and gbxml for IESVE

Is there anyway I can override the grid in Ecotect to take the settings from these packages or is there any other way that this can work. Has anyone had successes overriding the grid or setting up the grid correctly so the information translates correctly into my analysis package.

I do not have Ecotect Analysis 2010 and I'm also not sure due to the file changes to the fds format the fds5 will work as they won't with 2009.

The main purpose is obviously the visual representation that Ecotect can provide for this information as opposed to the Microflo viewer or smokeview.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Ecotect CFD

I realised after lots and lots of digging that the "cfd output" import option only applies to winair 4 which is no longer available.

I'm guessing that if the importing plugin can then optimise the grid analysis to suit then the figures would be able to come in at the points and the information displayed.

The cdf file is encoded unlike some of the other formats and therefore not much good.

However I would still like to here from somebody because at the moment Ecotect is claiming to do a whole bunch of cfd importing of results and analysis when in fact this is not available to anybody other then those who grabbed win air 4 back in the day and Mr Marsh,