Thread: Civil 3D to navis workflow?

Login to Give a bone

Default Civil 3D to navis workflow?

Hello --

looking for suggestions on a c3d to navis workflow for DTMs. Currently I am creating a surface in c3d, extracting 3d faces, coloring them by layer for each area of a site (sidewalk grey, grass green, etc) and bringing into navis. The problem with this workflow is that every time the dtm changes (which seems like daily) the extracted 3d faces need to be recolored even if only a small portion of the site changed.

Things I have tried with no success: render masks, xclip

Thanks

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Civil 3D to navis workflow?

I am interested in this thred as well.
    I have been doing the same thing, adding layers to the 3D faces and then exporting and rendering. As you said it is not ideal because any changes to the surface are not linked. So we have been waiting until our designs are complete before undertaking this. Puts us behind the architects as REVIT will export to Navisworks.

I have also found it ardous to export 3D pipes to Navis works. Because the pipe network is linked to the surface the surface automatically comes with the comes into navisworks as a grey "blob" interferes with my nicely rendered surface. I cannot find an easy way to detach the pipes from the surface, other than exporting only the pipes to LandXML and then importing the pipes to a new drawing and then exporting to Navisworks.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Civil 3D to navis workflow?

On your 2nd issue with the surface + pipes. The surface isn't attached to the pipes, it just references them in civil 3d. Make sure the file you are importing to navisworks has the 3d faces set to off in the 3d view. I am able to get the pipes + colored triangles in without the grey blob, the workflow for the surface is a pain though.