Thread: No 3D training and a little stuck with something bound to be very simple

Login to Give a bone

Default No 3D training and a little stuck with something bound to be very simple

I've just about managed to create my drawing showing a mounting plate with equipment on it but need to add dimensions. Any dims I do add are either not showing as aligned to the side being measured or, if it's something on the z axis then it's dimnensioning as though it's on the x or y. How do I get it to dimension the way I want it to?

Thanks

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: No 3D training and a little stuck with something bound to be very simple

Dimensions are always created at zero elevation in the current UCS.
    The easiest starting point is to set a current UCS using either "Face" or "OBject" option (of the UCS command).

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: No 3D training and a little stuck with something bound to be very simple

Normally I just do all my dimensions on paperspace.

if I had to do it in model space I'd change the UCS xy axis for elevations etc

Login to Give a bone

I also have a dimensioning question. I can get my dimensions to line up properly, however, how to I get the text to align on a traditional xy axis, meaning horizontal, rather then aligned with the object? of course the dimension and extension lines with still be aligned, it's just the text I want rotated. Is it just a matter of rotating the text until you find the right alignment?

Also, symbology. I am using Autocad 2008, without add ons.I just wanted to make sure that there is absolutely no GD&T symbology? Even though there is symbology referring to misc. items?

Login to Give a bone

Hi,

I think attached picture shows the answer to your problem.

Regards,

Andrzej
    Attached Images Attached Images