Thread: Ecotect thermal engine deficiencies?

Login to Give a bone

Default Ecotect thermal engine deficiencies?

All,

I came across the following report about Ecotect thermal engine deficiencies. Can anybody from the Ecotect team comment if this information from 2004 is still an issue?

http://www.bwk.tue.nl/bps/hensen/cou...T/Overview.htm

Report:
    http://www.bwk.tue.nl/bps/hensen/pub...a_teaching.pdf

All the best,
    John

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Ecotect thermal engine deficiencies?

John:
    I'm not the expert you are looking for, but I have heard about these validation issues. I think there is recognition that Ecotect has some validation issues, and in fact is not a substitute for EnergyPlus or other modeling software out there.
    We use Ecotect to compare designs, without being overly interested in quantitative results. It's more like, if I make this window bigger, what happens? When does additional roof insulation stop paying back?
    Hopefully someone from the factory can chime in.

Login to Give a bone

If you read the CIBSE guide from where Ecotect Thermal Calculation has taken its algorithms you will find their are only suitable for cooling load calculation, just as those documents state.
    I have also found several bugs that also affect quite seriously the already imprecise thermal results (I have some posts here regarding those).
    I particularly use Ecotect for visualization purposes (shadowing, radiation) and natural light studies (through radiance).
    The thermal results, should only be used, in my opinion, for comparing diferent alternatives in the beggining stages of the design process.
    Regards.

I could stop if I wanted to David Haynes's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by gc.198950 View Post
    The thermal results, should only be used, in my opinion, for comparing diferent alternatives in the beggining stages of the design process.
    I think that overall Ecotect should be used exclusively for comparing different alternatives in the schematic and design development stages of the design process. If you read through all the documents and presentations on Ectoect that the misunderstanding that you are getting 'exact' results is key.

What I am trying to say is that 'comparing different alternatives' is the strength - exact numbers not Ecotect's strength
    Last edited by David Haynes; 2009-07-20 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Added info.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by David Haynes View Post
    I think that overall Ecotect should be used exclusively for comparing different alternatives in the schematic and design development stages of the design process. If you read through all the documents and presentations on Ectoect that the misunderstanding that you are getting 'exact' results is key.

What I am trying to say is that 'comparing different alternatives' is the strength - exact numbers not Ecotect's strength
    I think the admittance method ecotect used(ecotect even simplifed the method) need validate more, sometimes it's results are even opposite to E+ and IESVE , espcially the conditions which is with strong radiation and high thermal capability.
    Last edited by iam_47; 2009-08-29 at 02:03 AM.

Login to Give a bone

if we have to put the values manually what should we put in the boxes of thermal resistance and the box below it ,because due to some error ecomat is not picking the values automatically when i "copy all layers"