Thread: [2010] Copy Elements Onto Similar Workset (OPEN)

All AUGI, all the time mwiggins121466's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default [2010] Copy Elements Onto Similar Workset (OPEN)

When I copy a device keep it on the same work set as the original (thats why I am copying it)
    not the current workset.
    Last edited by mwiggins; 2009-06-26 at 08:47 PM. Reason: spelling
    Margaret Wiggins
    Revit MEP 2006 and Greater
    Electrical Designer
    Detroit, Michigan
    wigginsm@yahoo.com

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: [2010] Copy Elements Onto Similar Workset (OPEN)

This is a great example of one of those stupid little annoyances which add up to make me horribly annoyed.

I fully support this wish!
    Matthew Danowski, PE, LEED AP BD+C
    Project Electrical Engineer
    Baltimore, MD

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

As usual, a few of annoying questions...

Should this apply only to devices? Should it apply only when the "source" element and the "new" element are in the same view? Should copying be a different action than creating a new element? Should copying be different than create similar?

What should happen when I copy an element that is in a workset that isn't open (yes, this is possible, I won't go into the varios ways, but it is)?

So you are organizing your worksets into "disciplines" (at a minimum), rather than people or areas of the building correct?

What is the primary reason that the assignment of the workset is so critical? (I could guess at a few, but I would rather not direct the answer inappropriately).

tia

jason

Login to Give a bone

Should this apply only to devices? Should it apply only when the "source" element and the "new" element are in the same view? Should copying be a different action than creating a new element? Should copying be different than create similar?
    No, Yes, Yes, Maybe

Create similar should really be an option (kind of like how multiple, constrain, etc are) for the copy tool. I like having that option of staying within the same plane, or the option to turn it off, etc.

What should happen when I copy an element that is in a workset that isn't open (yes, this is possible, I won't go into the varios ways, but it is)?
    I suppose some sort of error message. I would rather that, than Revit trying to place it and it getting "lost".

So you are organizing your worksets into "disciplines" (at a minimum), rather than people or areas of the building correct?
    I organize into discipline and floor such as "Lighting - First Floor" or the like.

What is the primary reason that the assignment of the workset is so critical? (I could guess at a few, but I would rather not direct the answer inappropriately).
    We use worksets for view filtering of elements for each discipline. This way for example, I can show some mechanical equipment in my electrical plan, but not all. There are other ways to do this, but using worksets as our filter was found to be a lot easier.
    Matthew Danowski, PE, LEED AP BD+C
    Project Electrical Engineer
    Baltimore, MD

All AUGI, all the time mwiggins121466's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Ok, so I did not know about create similar. We have been using copy for receptacles that have the same properties. That is why I was getting frustrated that it would chang the workset. After the copy we would then rehost the device. Create similar will save loads of time.
    I like Matts suggestion that it should be incorporated into the copy command as a toggle. And if the workset is closed throw an error

We also use worksets for view filtering. Another example would be showing wireways in labs on both power and data (misc systems) drawings. We do the same for mechanical equipment as Matt states.
    Margaret Wiggins
    Revit MEP 2006 and Greater
    Electrical Designer
    Detroit, Michigan
    wigginsm@yahoo.com

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

OK, I assumed that you were looking for visibility control here, but didn't want to just assume that.

If there were some magical solution to visibility control that worked better than worksets (I don't have any idea what it might be, but pretend with me for a minute) would this request still be something that was needed?

Thanks for all of the detailed information!!!

jason