Thread: How to delete unused components from the type selector?

Login to Give a bone

Default How to delete unused components from the type selector?

Hello,
    I am a new user and I cannot figure out how to get rid of families that I have loaded and not used. I'm hoping if I can delete them, my file size will be smaller. Anyone know how to do this? Thanks a million!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How to delete unused components from the type selector?

There is a command called "Purge unused" you can look it up in help to know exactly how it is used to remove unwanted families from your project.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Be careful to click the "Check None" button as your first step when using "Purge Unused". Then look for and select what you want to remove. Be default everything that can be purged is pre-selected. This means if you have something in your project template, but you haven't used it yet in the project, it will be removed and you'll have to re-create it or re-load it.

For example, I have about 12 piece of Casework that I use on nearly every project. I've pre-loaded them in my project template. I start building my model with Walls, Windows and Doors. Then "Purge Unused" to get rid of door and window family types I don't want. Now I'm ready to drop in my Casework, and, Hey what the...?

Login to Give a bone

Most families can have unused types deleted manually if you expand the Families list at the bottom of the project browser. Other things like unused dimension types, arrowhead types, etc. can only be removed by using Purge Unused. The problem then is, if you think a certain dimension type is unused, but it's not, then it won't show up in the Purge Unused list. Then you have to go through and hunt for it.

You could place an instance of that particular dimension, right-click on it and pick Select All Instances. Then you can see how many instance of that particular type there are, and either delete them or change them to a different type. The kicker here is that Select All Instances DOES NOT pick up anything in LEGEND views. So then you have to go through all your legends and delete or change manually those items you're trying to purge. If it's something like an arrowhead, then it could be anything from a dimension to text to annotation symbols, etc. that have that arrowhead, and you'll have to change all of them manually in legend views before you can delete them using Purge Unused.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by patricks View Post
    The kicker here is that Select All Instances DOES NOT pick up anything in LEGEND views..
    Thanks! I did not know that.