See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: duct liner visibiliy?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default duct liner visibiliy?

I added liner to some of my ducts, but they do not look any different than before. It shows up in the properties of the duct, but not visually on the sheet. Is there something I need to turn on? 'Ducts --> Lining' is checked on in v/g.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: duct liner visibiliy?

Are you in Wireframe?

Login to Give a bone

I am now. I see how they have it set up so it's a solid line w/o lining or a dotted line with. Is there a way to show it in 'hidden line'? I like the regular 2-line look better, but could keep the dotted line just for the ones with lining to make it stand out better.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by timsea81 View Post
    I am now. I see how they have it set up so it's a solid line w/o lining or a dotted line with. Is there a way to show it in 'hidden line'? I like the regular 2-line look better, but could keep the dotted line just for the ones with lining to make it stand out better.
    The dotted line actually represents the lining. It does not change the outside duct linetype. If you turn thin lines you'll see this. It is the 2 line look. AFAIK the only way to represent the lining is to show in wireframe. The deliverables will look horrible (no hidden line duct breaks). It sounds like you want to show the outside linetype as dashed indicating that there is lining associated with that run? This might have to be done with a "magic" parameter that looks at the lining parameter and if lining has a value greater then 1" than to change the VG of the run through a independent filter. What the ****. I think i just lost myself. I think the only purpose of lining is to change the inside dimensions for air flow calculations. I don't think they can properly be shown on deliverables.
    Last edited by Jrobker; 2009-07-10 at 05:25 PM.

Login to Give a bone

I don't really need the outside lines any different. Most of my ductwork does not have lining, I don't really care how it shows the lining for the ducts that do have it, I just don't want the center line on the rest of my ductwork as it confuses things. My '2-line' comment was a bit misleading.

What I am envisioning is ducts with no lining to be shown as they are in 'hidden line' and ducts that have lining to be shown as they are in 'wireframe'. There are a few places I want to look but don't quite know how:

1- Is there a way to customize the way things are displayed at the different levels of wireframe/hidden line/etc? Similar to custom Display Configurations in AutoCAD?

2- Is there some way to control visibility settings of ducts at the type level? I could make a new duct type called 'with lining' and control it from there

3- Is there some way to change individual ducts from 'hidden line' to 'wire frame' without effecting the rest?

Login to Give a bone

1- Is there a way to customize the way things are displayed at the different levels of wireframe/hidden line/etc? Similar to custom Display Configurations in AutoCAD?

2- Is there some way to control visibility settings of ducts at the type level? I could make a new duct type called 'with lining' and control it from there

3- Is there some way to change individual ducts from 'hidden line' to 'wire frame' without effecting the rest?

1) only through VG and then you can create a view template to be applied to your other ductwork plans.
    2) You can to a certain level throught view filters, but not as well as you may think.
    3) only by overlaying 2 views ontop of eachother. Its a pain, and its a workaround, but its the only way to do it.

I gave up on showing the lining on our drawings and instead make sure its listed in spec, and keynote the duct i want lined. Its just too much time and hastle to get it to display in the drawings.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

What I am envisioning is ducts with no lining to be shown as they are in 'hidden line' and ducts that have lining to be shown as they are in 'wireframe'. There are a few places I want to look but don't quite know how:

1-Filters- I applied a filter that looks for lining thickness that changes the color and adds hatch.

2-Filters---

3-You can overide Override graphics in view and set to transparent this will show lining.
    It is front end work, but it can be done.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Jrobker View Post
    You can overide Override graphics in view and set to transparent this will show lining.
    SWEETNESS! We have a winner! Thanks for your help everyone.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Jrobker View Post
    1-Filters- I applied a filter that looks for lining thickness that changes the color and adds hatch.

2-Filters---

3-You can overide Override graphics in view and set to transparent this will show lining.
    It is front end work, but it can be done.
    The above is what I have had to do, although the hatch didn't work out so great, too busy and cluttered looking. So what I did was use the filter to display a soild fill rather then hatch, filled duct is lined and unfilled unlined, worked but awkward. I'm hoping this gets fixed soon.... as well as when liner is >0" the OD of the duct automatically grows acordingly.... AS IT SHOULD!

Damit, duct size should ALWAYS be the airflow side dimensions not OD, come on REVIT programers....

Login to Give a bone

Angry Re: duct liner visibiliy?

we have found detail lines work best for us...it's nothing more extensive than what you would do in autocad, so there's no time lost...just no time gained.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast