Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to run piping to a linked ARCH model?

Login to Give a bone

Default How to run piping to a linked ARCH model?

Well how is this supposed to work? We received a model from the Architect that contains all the toilets and sinks. That's fine...that's how it works they design the space! So, we link the Architect's model....and then TRY to start running the plumbing and piping runs. Nope that doesn't work as the REVIT MEP doesn't see the connections across the linked file!! Why? We don't want to copy these fixtures into our model because then we have duplication that isn't coordinated if the Architect changes a room layout!
    How is this supposed to work? Help please!

Dave

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How to run piping to a linked ARCH model?

Welcome to Revit MEP

I could stop if I wanted to dmb.100468's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Do you really need to be "connected" to the fixture in the Arch file? Chances are they will move them around so much you will get tired of your pipe runs constantly breaking.

If you need to have a connection because you are doing calcs, you can use the plumbing fixture connector family. It can be face hosted to the fixture in the Arch file. It acts as a "rough-in" and can be given all of the attributes of the plumbing fixture, for scheduling and analysis.

If you are not doing calculations, your best bet is to just model your pipes up to the fixtures in the Arch file.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the response.
    Is there literature on how to use the connectors for this purpose?
    We are running calculations and the client requires us to have coordinated models. So we have to link and update weekly. The only thing I can think of is to place the same fixtures in our Mechanical model. Any other work arounds?

Login to Give a bone

I would also like to know about this. Since Revit Arch 2010 now has connectors available in the family editor, you'd think the architectural model's families could just have the connectors, and then you could connect to them in MEP with wires, piping, etc. It seems that is not the case, unless I'm missing something.

I just finished a project where our mechanical engineers had duplicated all of our plumbing fixtures, which made for horrible-looking architectural drawings with the MEP file linked in. We had to go through and set up custom view templates for all view types with the MEP file set to custom with the plumbing fixtures turned off.

Login to Give a bone

This is the problem i have been having, we are multi disc, Arch & Struct working great, just cant find a suitable solution to utilise MEP to any extent. It is a constant pain in my strategy and it doesnt appear that Autodesk are listening!!

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

You can't make connections to fixtures/equipment across links. Now that 2010 gives Architects connectors, the best bet might be for the Architect to layout the space, then effectively cut/paste the fixtures into the MEP file. The Architect then has to do interior elevations and dimensioned plans after linking the MEP file into the Arch file. I hate it, but there doesn't seem to be a better way... unless MEP designers place connectors in their file without 3D geometry. With this option, connectors on Arch families are completely useless.

Login to Give a bone

I've been saving out the plumbing fixtures from the architects model, making it a face based family(the ones the architect uses are all wall based), slapping some connectors on it, loading it into my project and dropping it right on top of theirs and then turning theirs off.

Warning: As with all things revit, the preceding statement is easier said than done.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

As with just about anything else, the solution that works best for you is in the approach that you take and how your company is structured. Our MEP engineers and architects are all under one roof, so we have a slightly different approach.

We let (in other words, make) the MEP engineers locate the fixtures/equipment where it needs to go, since they're responsible for it ultimately. They have a dialog with the designers and there might be a 2D place holder that only shows up in plan, but for the real, connected devices and fixtures, it's up to the discipline responsible for it to locate it in the design.

Of course, we're always harping on the architects that the EE's need ceilings and rooms before they can actually do any work, but that's another battle altogether.

You've got to do what's best for your company to get the workflow you need.

Login to Give a bone

Lightbulb Re: How to run piping to a linked ARCH model?

Quote Originally Posted by cporter.207875 View Post
    You can't make connections to fixtures/equipment across links. Now that 2010 gives Architects connectors, the best bet might be for the Architect to layout the space, then effectively cut/paste the fixtures into the MEP file. The Architect then has to do interior elevations and dimensioned plans after linking the MEP file into the Arch file. I hate it, but there doesn't seem to be a better way... unless MEP designers place connectors in their file without 3D geometry. With this option, connectors on Arch families are completely useless.
    There may still be a need for using connectors in Arch families. Revit MEP allows you to copy diffusers, lights and fixtures from the linked model into the MEP model through the clipboard. In the process the connector will come with the family which will minimize the need to re-insert connectors or another family. Hover over the object and use the tab key to highlight. Then select it to turn it red. Hover and select as many objects as you want by using the CRTL key right after the TAB key. Use Copy (clipboard) then Paste To Same place and you will bring the object with its connector. All you have to do now is connect to it. That would take you less time than having to re-insert fixtures again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast