Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paragraph Spacing doesn't take

Login to Give a bone

Unhappy Paragraph Spacing doesn't take

I hope someone out there has seen this problem before, or can help me figure out how to bring it to Autodesk's attention. I searched the AutoCAD and AUGI forums (fora?) as well as the Autodesk knowledge base, but wasn't able to get any hits.

Our office is in thue process of upgrading to AutoCAD 2010. I don't know if this is a new feature, but I know I've never used it before -- in Mtext objects, one can set the line spacing for each line, as well as paragraph spacing, for hard-returns only. That works great -- except when I save the text, and save the drawing file, it just doesn't take. When I re-open the drawing, my paragraph spacing settings have disappeared.

Has anyone else run into this? Anyone know if I'm doing something wrong? If not, how do I report this bug to Autodesk? I couldn't find a link on their support site -- only info for the crash report tool.

Thanks,
    Justin

Certifiable AUGI Addict ccowgill's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Paragraph Spacing doesn't take

Quote Originally Posted by jgkerns View Post
    I hope someone out there has seen this problem before, or can help me figure out how to bring it to Autodesk's attention. I searched the AutoCAD and AUGI forums (fora?) as well as the Autodesk knowledge base, but wasn't able to get any hits.

Our office is in thue process of upgrading to AutoCAD 2010. I don't know if this is a new feature, but I know I've never used it before -- in Mtext objects, one can set the line spacing for each line, as well as paragraph spacing, for hard-returns only. That works great -- except when I save the text, and save the drawing file, it just doesn't take. When I re-open the drawing, my paragraph spacing settings have disappeared.

Has anyone else run into this? Anyone know if I'm doing something wrong? If not, how do I report this bug to Autodesk? I couldn't find a link on their support site -- only info for the crash report tool.

Thanks,
    Justin
    I havent gotten that far in my testing, but if you are on subscription, you should be able to submit a support request and hopefully get help that way, or atleast get them to admit it is an issue and attempt to fix it.

Just tested this issue, I didnt experience the issue you are describing. could you post the drawing you are experiencing this issue in?
    Last edited by ccowgill; 2009-07-22 at 06:18 PM. Reason: tested

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the feedback -- I did some further testing myself, and found the same results as you; in a new drawing with fresh text pasted in from outside AutoCAD, the settings stuck just fine. Same results, using the default Autodesk templates for new drawings, or using my company's templates. I then copied the problematic text out of my existing drawings into new ones, and once again experienced the loss of settings upon re-opening.

The text in question is from old General Notes libraries -- I suspect some artifact exists in the old text that the AutoCAD 2010 doesn't like. Curiosity says figure it out, but practicality says just retype it and move on.

At any rate, thanks for the nudge!

Certifiable AUGI Addict ccowgill's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jgkerns View Post
    Thanks for the feedback -- I did some further testing myself, and found the same results as you; in a new drawing with fresh text pasted in from outside AutoCAD, the settings stuck just fine. Same results, using the default Autodesk templates for new drawings, or using my company's templates. I then copied the problematic text out of my existing drawings into new ones, and once again experienced the loss of settings upon re-opening.

The text in question is from old General Notes libraries -- I suspect some artifact exists in the old text that the AutoCAD 2010 doesn't like. Curiosity says figure it out, but practicality says just retype it and move on.

At any rate, thanks for the nudge!
    You are welcome, and thanks to you as well, I tested using our General Notes block and didnt have an issue, so that means I dont need to worry about it, that may not be the case on some of our other blocks, but if it pops up, I'll hopefully remember this and know that I just need to probably retype it.

Login to Give a bone

Augh........scream.
    I'm having the problem described above.
    I've got 3/32" mtext. Trying to set paragraph spacing....it'll only take a minimum value of 1/4" inch. Any value less it ignores.
    What's the point of such paragraph spacing? Using hard returns gives me less space between paragraphs than this.
    I've got an older drawing with mtext where the paragraph spacing works fine. I can't figure out why it works in one drawing and not another. I've tried stripping all formatting from the mtext etc, creating mtext from scratch, etc.
    Using ACAD 2011.
    Thank you.

Login to Give a bone

I don't know if this would have any affect. But have you checked to see what your drawing units precision is set to?

Login to Give a bone

This is a known bug with 2011. Supposedly it was fixed with 2012.

So far the only work around in 2011 is to copy mtext that was set in an older version of AutoCAD.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Pope View Post
    This is a known bug with 2011. Supposedly it was fixed with 2012.

So far the only work around in 2011 is to copy mtext that was set in an older version of AutoCAD.
    Thank you very much. I did exactly that and it worked fine.

Login to Give a bone

Talking Re: Paragraph Spacing doesn't take

Has anyone else commented on how close "augh" is to "augi"?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

I found in 2009 ver, if you autocad is set to save down it will mess up the paragraph spacing when you reopen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast