Thread: How do you layout grounding/lightning protection plans?

Login to Give a bone

Default How do you layout grounding/lightning protection plans?

How do you guys approach grounding plans and lightning protection plans?
    I suppose one can just use a floor plan as a background and draw detail lines...etc and get it done. But, What about if I want to use wires and devices? Tell me more about your process!

Dave

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How do you layout grounding/lightning protection plans?

Dave/all,

Did you end up doing lightning protection plans in REVIT?

We have a project where we are contractorally required to produce lightning protection plans in revit.. I know there would be no "real intelligence" but, just curious if anyone had any experience with this sort of task?

Thanks

Login to Give a bone

We have been dealing with this in a couple of different ways. The extent of what and how you use your families depends on the type of roof you are putting a system on. A full system, conductors and all can be done but you will have to generate some workarounds. following is a quick explanation. sorry i dont have much time to go into elaborate details at the moment.

Following is what we have done on a few facilities using the following families assigned to electrical fixtures. All families have graphic annotations except the conductor.
    Air Terminal - Face Based
    Air Terminal - Unhosted
    Ground Rod - Unhosted
    Ground Conductor - Line Based. (shown as a dashed line on plans)

All families that are placed for the Grounding and LP are provided with a Grounding value in the Comments field of each family. Create a filter that looks at the comments field and does not show anything that does not contain Grounding in the comments field.

Create a roof plan. Its associated level is the roof level. Set the bottom of your view range to be the lowest level of your building, or finished grade level with a negative offset so you are looking well below grade. this will allow you to see the ground ring.
    ~~~Flat roof and parapets - if this is the condition of the building, you can try to develop the system design using the face based terminal family. this will place the terminals on the roof or parapet.
    ~~~Sloped roofs - use a unhosted terminal family. Place the family. cut a section. Move the terminal up to the location of the roof plane you are working in. Once you establish the level for all of your terminals in a roof plane, then you can copy or array the terminals as needed across the roof areas.

You can try to use the grounding conductor for the connections between the roof terminals, but we have not had much luck using it on sloped roofs because they require a work plane. Another solution would be to use Pipes or Round Ducts to show the interconnections. To do this though you will need to created separate Types of those families, and make sure you tell your plumbing and HVAC counter parts of these new types you are using.

If neither of the above does not work or seems to involved, then use drafting lines for the air terminal connections and the connections to the ground rings.

Create a different view for your ground ring where the associated level is finished grade. Develop your ground ring design using the ground rods family, noting there location below grade. Connect the ground rods together using the ground wire line based family. Go back to your roof plan and verify that you can see your ground ring.

Once you see both the roof systems and the ground ring in the roof plan, then just use the roof plan to annotate everything appropriately.

hope that helps. feel free to ask questions or question my methods. I will try to check back when I can.

Login to Give a bone

possibly dumb question here:

how do i set the view range to the bottom of my building without getting all the interior partitions/doors to show up?

All AUGI, all the time mwiggins121466's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Change your view discipline to arch or coordination.
    Margaret Wiggins
    Revit MEP 2006 and Greater
    Electrical Designer
    Detroit, Michigan
    wigginsm@yahoo.com

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

How about ground bars? I cannot seem to find any in online libraries, has anyone created these?

Login to Give a bone

You dredged up a really old post. Probably would have been better to start a new one. Try this family.

Ground Bus Bar Face.rfa

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Dear Kalimazoop,

Can u provide can u provide families which are your used in lightning protection plans.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Hello. I am new to this forum and I know that its publication is old but I managed to give some good solutions to do this type of project in revit. I used conduit as copper cables and connections as soldering and connectors or insulators as connection types. it Works very well. For pickup with masts, I made families as equipment for conduit and inserted conduit connectors in them. I hope I have helped.