View Poll Results: Should the Factory bring back the "classic" pre-2010 Revit UI?

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! This is as important to us as new functionality

52 50.49%
  • Yes, but not if it severely impacts the Factory's ability to bring new features

30 29.13%
  • No, because it might affect the number of new features

15 14.56%
  • No! I'm more productive with the Ribbon

6 5.83%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Keeping the classic interface

Revit Arch. Wishlist Mgr. Wes Macaulay's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Keeping the classic interface

Alright folks: step right up and make your vote: do you really want the classic UI or not? The votes are anonymous

Revit Arch. Wishlist Mgr. Wes Macaulay's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Keeping the classic interface

I've voted for the old UI to be retained, but not at a huge expense to new features being developed

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

It might be interesting to have another poll along the lines of...

Autodesk claims that they should not bring back the classic UI because it would have a sever impact on providing new features. Do you...
    1: Believe them?
    2: Think they are lying again?

The answer to this question actually has a material impact on how the results of the extant poll are interpreted.

Gordon

Login to Give a bone

"This is an apology for the way we previously handled illegally sold copies of '1984' and other novels on Kindle," the Amazon chief executive said in a post on Thursday on the Kindle Community discussion forum.

"Our 'solution' to the problem was stupid, thoughtless, and painfully out of line with our principles," Bezos wrote.

"It is wholly self-inflicted, and we deserve the criticism we've received," he said. "We will use the scar tissue from this painful mistake to help make better decisions going forward, ones that match our mission."

Those of the words of Jeff Bezos relative to Amazon's recent fiasco. The situation is only slightly comparable to Revit 2010. But it is comparable in this way:

No one at Amazon intentionally screwed up. They sold books that they had no authority to sell. They corrected the problem, admittedly in an awkward way, but Amazon was trying to act in a responsible manner relative to the owners of the Orwell copyrights.

No one at the Factory deliberately tried to screw up the Revit user interface. They were trying to improve the product. Obviously, no one at Autodesk would intentionally annoy the user base. But in actual fact, we have a release that offers me nothing (other than the slope annotation tool) that could increase my productivity in any way. And in fact, I'm one of the guys who has experienced multiple daily crashes for weeks. (Yes, I filed multiple support requests, and no, it didn't help.) And I got to pay handsomely for my trouble, both in cash to Autodesk for multiple Revit subscriptions and in lost productivity for me every time Revit crashed. (No crashes since I went debug mode.)

And to date, there has been no Jeff Bezos-style apology (or any other kind that I know of). Until sometime today, Autodesk still maintained that it was impossible to access the classic UI. Now we're told that we dare use the classic UI at our peril. "Autodeskcares" at your service.

Autodesk badly needs Phil Read back, and he needs to be given a major role in Revit development.

Of course, I want to be 20 years younger and that's about as likely.

Bill

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

I have voted: Yes! This is as important to us as new functionality

Prior to having used the old UI in 2010 I would have voted for old UI to be returned but not at the expense of new functionality, however, since using 2010 with the classic UI, the performance gain is stunning. I can rip around my normal model faster than I have been able to do (even when comparing to 2008 which was pretty quick)

Whilst new functionality is obviously hugely important, I don't think new functionality should be built onto a poor user interface.

Notwithstanding some of the limitations which are now apparent in the debug mode, I am going to stick with it as the speed and pleasure of working without the eye strain of the delays in waiting for the UI to catch up is, for me, worth it.

Autodesk's competitors must be having a field day with all of this.

I imagine if I was trialling ArchiCad right now, I dare say that I would be made well aware of both how AutoDesk have dealt with their customers (lies or weasel words) and the disenchantment of many users of the new UI.

I could stop if I wanted to PaperStreet SoapCO's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

While I agree that Autodesk has handled this in a less than admirable way, you'll get screw ups from Graphisoft/Nametshek as well. I'm not knocking on ArchiCAD in particular but only using them as a reference because I used their software for several years. The customer support and corporate response was no better. They listened no better to fulfill the user's wishes for new releases. Their forums are chalk full of complaints similar to ours.

All this talk about people switching software because of the 2010 UI is laughable to me. You think you have lost productivity because of the UI? Try learning a new piece of software! A new UI along with new tools, workflow, process, etc etc etc. I mean lets be honest, most people threaten to switch software to try to inflict Autodesk with the same pain that has been caused to them. It has nothing to do with being productive or efficient....

</rant>

Phew...that's been brewin' inside since this whole UI thing got huge...
    Last edited by Chad Koscinski; 2009-07-25 at 02:36 PM.

I could stop if I wanted to funkman's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Wes, I am not sure these options are appropriate for me. I would say YES...BUT only if it does not improve the ludicrous ribbon.

I am happy to learn the new ribbon but not by compromising my workflow in any way.

If Autodesk dont change the ribbon to improve functionality, then the classic UI is a MUST.

Login to Give a bone

Wes

I voted to keep the classic interface. I believe that this is entirely necessary especially after reading and experiencing myself the enormous improvement in speed and stability of using the debug mode.
    If maintaining a classic mode and the ribbon will impact on the factories ability to introduce new features so be it. However, it seems to me that the only logical solution would be to drop the ribbon for the ill conceived failed experiment that it is.
    The only thing that users have ever complained about in the UI was the dated look and the multiple levels of dialogues which could be reduced or don't report anything useful. The look only required a virtual lick of paint, and the dialogues a little thought.

Regards
    Darren

Login to Give a bone

It is a no-brainer. Having fully supported access to the classic UI is probably the single biggest productivity upgrade that Autodesk could add to the next release of Revit. My only requested change - replace the 2009 icons with the small versions of the pretty new 2010 icons.
    Last edited by Scott Hopkins; 2009-07-27 at 12:50 AM.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

It occurs to me that maybe we should all just be happy that Carl decided to suck up to Steve "Sweaty Screaming Idiot" Balmer by nicking the Ribbons. He COULD have decided we all needed an annoying talking protractor as an ever present "help" "feature". Probably would have used the Jar Jar voice too. So count your luck stars the **** up is only ribbons!

Gordon

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast