See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Change Text to Bold

Login to Give a bone

Unhappy Change Text to Bold

I have many, many independent text items that I want to change from regular to bold (not all the text in the drawing but most of it). I tried making one group bold then matching properties...that does not work for "bold". I tired many things that did not work. I don't want to go through and hi-lite each line and select bold...would take all day. That is the only way I know how to do it. Does anyone know a easier way?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Change Text to Bold

Quote Originally Posted by dhf000 View Post
    I have many, many independent text items that I want to change from regular to bold (not all the text in the drawing but most of it). I tried making one group bold then matching properties...that does not work for "bold". I tired many things that did not work. I don't want to go through and hi-lite each line and select bold...would take all day. That is the only way I know how to do it. Does anyone know a easier way?
    You must be talking about a True Type Font (TTF)?

I'm not sure how (and if) you can do what your asking, but if it were an SHX font, you could put the text you want bold on a layer that plots darker (wider lineweight), not sure if it would work for TTF.

Just a thought

Login to Give a bone

Like Ted wonders... Is the text SHX or TTF?
    You could always create a new textstyle and then move the desired text to the new "bold" style too...
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by rkmcswain View Post
    Like Ted wonders... Is the text SHX or TTF?
    You could always create a new textstyle and then move the desired text to the new "bold" style too...
    It is TTF. Not that proficent with AutoCAD...doing this layout as public service for local cementery. It is all the plot numbers. I did it...had to convert to pdf for kinkos. With normal text it was alittle fuzzy in pdf so thought I would try making bold...thought it woulb be easy until I discovered I could only do it by opening each text string, hi-lite and then making it bold...one at a time. I tried to create style but not too sure how to implement. Got any simple instruction?

Login to Give a bone

Create a new textstyle (Style command) using a suitable font. You can set Bold, change the height, whatever. Then select all the text items that you want to change and use the Properties Manager to set them to use the new style.

Login to Give a bone

As it seems its not for a standardized drawing, I would use a new layer thats has a thicker lineweight.

Login to Give a bone

Arrow Re: Change Text to Bold

Quote Originally Posted by dsthilare View Post
    As it seems its not for a standardized drawing, I would use a new layer thats has a thicker lineweight.
    IIRC -- Lineweights and/or plotstyles with thicker lineweights have no effect on text created with TTF.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jaberwok View Post
    Create a new textstyle (Style command) using a suitable font. You can set Bold, change the height, whatever. Then select all the text items that you want to change and use the Properties Manager to set them to use the new style.
    I tried and have set up a style for the text I want...it will not change the text to bold on my drawing. I select many text items, go to the properties and select the new style..it does not change the text to bold. I appreciate all the suggestions but I am not getting anything that is working.

I have attached a portion of the drawing for example. Again my goal is to change the text to bold without having to go to each one, hi-lite and then make bold...too time consuming for the many I have to do.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by dhf000; 2009-07-30 at 03:06 PM. Reason: add note about attachment

Login to Give a bone

Something we all overlooked, although we were missing a critial peice of information...

This is MTEXT, not TEXT, and the MTEXT contains embedded formatting, which overrides the properties of the applied textstyle.

You need to get rid of the embedded formatting if you want this MTEXT to take on the properties of the textstyle assigned to it.

Edit an MTEXT item, and when you are in edit mode, press Ctrl+A to select all the text, then right-click and select Remove Formatting > Remove All Formatting.

There is also a lisp routine available here to globally remove embedded formatting from a selection set of MTEXT entities.

http://cadabyss.wordpress.com/
    Last edited by rkmcswain; 2009-07-30 at 03:17 PM. Reason: add URL

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by rkmcswain View Post
    IIRC -- Lineweights and/or plotstyles with thicker lineweights have no effect on text created with TTF.
    Yea, I tend to agree ...that what I was thinking when I wrote:
    Quote Originally Posted by tedg View Post
    ....but if it were an SHX font, you could put the text you want bold on a layer that plots darker (wider lineweight), not sure if it would work for TTF.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast