Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to place light fixtures with no ceiling

Login to Give a bone

Default How to place light fixtures with no ceiling

Currently working on a hospital, we need to do a power/lighting demolition plan, however we don't have a reflected ceiling plan showing the existing conditions. is there a way to place ceiling fixtures without an rcp?

-Dave

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How to place light fixtures with no ceiling

Ceiling elements, lights, diffusers, etc. can be placed w/o a ceiling. Look on the Options bar in v9 not sure where it is in v10

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by notoriousdw View Post
    Currently working on a hospital, we need to do a power/lighting demolition plan, however we don't have a reflected ceiling plan showing the existing conditions. is there a way to place ceiling fixtures without an rcp?

-Dave
    If the fixtures are face based you could create planes and host them to the planes... Some will even argue that with ceilings this is how it should be done.

I hope this helps.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by sjsl View Post
    Ceiling elements, lights, diffusers, etc. can be placed w/o a ceiling. Look on the Options bar in v9 not sure where it is in v10
    my options bar only has "place on verticle face", "place on face", "place on work plane", and the create in place & load buttons. I don't see on the options bar where I would select to place the fixture w/o a ceiling. Am I missing something?

Login to Give a bone

my options bar only has "place on verticle face", "place on face", "place on work plane", and the create in place & load buttons. I don't see on the options bar where I would select to place the fixture w/o a ceiling. Am I missing something?
    Just draw a reference plane to represent the ceiling and then host them to the "work plane". If a family is face based it needs to be hosted to something. You cannot just place them.

Login to Give a bone

We create a "no ceiling" ceiling type and then just hide the ceiling in the different views
    Michael "MP" Patrick
    "I only drink :coffee: until it's acceptable to drink :beer: or :whiskey: or :wine:"

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cdatechguy View Post
    We create a "no ceiling" ceiling type and then just hide the ceiling in the different views
    Isn't that more tedious not to mention time consuming? As i understand it you must go through to each room and add a ceiling, which you will ultimately just turn off? To me it sound as if you are adding to the size of your model for no reason at all. Reference planes have little to no impact on your model, and you could draw all of the ceiling reference planes you could need in 1 minute... For example a ceiling at 9-0, 9-6, 10-0, etc depending on the projects ceiling heights.

Just some food for thought.

Login to Give a bone

I'm in my floor plan view and when I attempt to make a reference plane to use as you suggest it keeps giving me a verticle one, instead of a poane view plane. And I can't seem to find the setting to make the reference plane flat with my plan view

Login to Give a bone

I'm in my floor plan view and when I attempt to make a reference plane to use as you suggest it keeps giving me a verticle one, instead of a poane view plane. And I can't seem to find the setting to make the reference plane flat with my plan view

You can use either an elevation view, or cut a section and place the plan horizontally in the section view. Also be sure to go to the plane's element properties and name it corresponding to it height. That way when you place the fixture, you can select the plan and then simply select the naem from the list.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by nubrun.188780 View Post
    You can use either an elevation view, or cut a section and place the plan horizontally in the section view. Also be sure to go to the plane's element properties and name it corresponding to it height. That way when you place the fixture, you can select the plan and then simply select the naem from the list.
    thanks I'll give that a try and see how it works out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast