See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: How to fix non bounding rooms?!

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Unhappy How to fix non bounding rooms?!

Hi fellow Reviteers.

This is a known issue and I want to know if someone out there manage to fix it or found a way around it. I want to export a gbxml of my building or even assign a space first. The architect as always done a poor job of not bounding some walls, roofs and floors.

When I run Tag Space all it shows me all the spaces that were able to be bound and computed. But than there are over a dozen rooms without geomtry or walls that were not bounded propery.

I have manage to fix some of the rooms just by scanning and connecting through walls, but there are always larger complicated looking rooms that I cannot touch up to bind it.

How do MEP consultants fix this? Its very irritating because theres only really 2-3 rooms left that needs to be compuetd out of 130 rooms....

Is there a way to find which walls that are broken and fix it?

Much appreciated!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How to fix non bounding rooms?!

Are you using space separation lines? They will allow you to fill in the gaps that are causing rooms to be unbounded.

I have also found it helpful to create a "Broken Space Schedule" that filters out spaces with areas greater than 0. That leaves me with a list of redundant, unbounded, and otherwise broken spaces.

Login to Give a bone

If you are not sure which is the problem wall in a room, it's not always obvious, put room sep lines on all the walls - ignore the warnings - then progressively delete them one by one.

When the room breaks as you delete the separtion line you know it's that wall and can deak with it using sep lines or wall edit

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Brian.Gemmell View Post
    Are you using space separation lines? They will allow you to fill in the gaps that are causing rooms to be unbounded.

I have also found it helpful to create a "Broken Space Schedule" that filters out spaces with areas greater than 0. That leaves me with a list of redundant, unbounded, and otherwise broken spaces.
    Wow thanks Brian and Robin!

That did the job! well most of it but atleast I know how it works! *curses architects*

Space > Space all > find non defined space > Draw seperation line around dodgey areas > than go back to space again > if doesn't work, move onto other corners!

How do I set up Brocken Space Scheule Brian? I can't seem to find any of that in schdule... I have one last very anoying space, and I keep getting this message even though there are nothing there and I can enclose it...

Multiple Spaces are in the same enclosed region. The correct area and perimeter will be assigned to one Space and the others will display "Redundant Space." You should separate the regions, delete the extra Spaces, or move them into different regions.

Its a bridge between rooms, both side is a full height glass panel and some void between the panel.... I get the feeling it want let me do anything because the way the architect built the glass curtain walls, and how it connects to the floor and the roof.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Beancud; 2009-08-03 at 03:29 AM. Reason: infor

Login to Give a bone

Broken space schedule demo is attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Post Re: How to fix non bounding rooms?!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian.Gemmell View Post
    Broken space schedule demo is attached.
    Ok thanks for that Brian. I saw what you did, all you did was set up an area schedule. It is a good way of keeping track of overall spaces, when you have hundreds of spaces.

I think some spaces are still impossible to touch up. The architects used funny curtain walls, custom mullions, windows, doors etc that just complicates things. I can only raelly just re draw a thin wall inside and change the face properties of the wall to actually enclose it propery. Or probably just faser remaking the room in IES.

cheers.

Login to Give a bone

A faster way of finding the break not to trace the walls with room bounding lines, but rather draw a room separation line across the center of the space This will show you which side of the room has the problem. Then split the problem area in two again and further isolate the problem space. Typically I don't need to do this more than 2-3 times to locate the issue.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by aaronrumple View Post
    A faster way of finding the break not to trace the walls with room bounding lines, but rather draw a room separation line across the center of the space This will show you which side of the room has the problem. Then split the problem area in two again and further isolate the problem space. Typically I don't need to do this more than 2-3 times to locate the issue.
    That's a great idea, reminds me of Jezzball though...

http://www.jezzball.net/