Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The...how would you draw this?!

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default The...how would you draw this?!

I have to draw this building up as existing, and there are a couple of bits i know im going to struggle with.....do any of you folks have an ideas on how to draw these bits.

first is this stone piece
    second is the actual windows
    third is the feature spire

any help greatly appreciated!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: The...how would you draw this?!

Hello,
    I will be doing this, this way:

ad 1) Massing ----> solid extrusion, next add some void and finish mass. Then convert to wall, add some material, end
    ad2 ) Massing -----> using solid sweep to create window frame profiles and mullions
    ad3) Massing ----> creating one big “mess” , solid sweep only, and sweep void.
    First create an outline for main shape, then draw a path which in this case will be thickness, then sweep void for opening.

regards!

I could stop if I wanted to Phil Read's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Rather than use the category of Massing - consider creating in-place family or family component. If you model in-place, there are options for Walls, Windows, etc. This will allow your finished elements to schedule and have their visibility controlled by a more appropriate category.

-Phil

Login to Give a bone

Are those pieces above the bay window solid? If so, then I would just model it as a generic component and place it in the model. Model the walls above and below those pieces, and then another piece of wall in between those 2 pieces.

The windows I would do as individual windows nested into another window family with all the stonework around it. We did something similar on a recent new construction job with lots of cast stone pieces.

The spire I would just do as a wall type with an edited profile, and then some in-place sweeps for the coping and other profile pieces.

Login to Give a bone

I also have to deal with these sort of details regularly and I find Revit very good at it.

Often I find that it helps to consider how the objects were built in reality - i.e. stone blocks inserted into masonry etc.

If I was doing your one I would probably make the angled blocks above the bay as in-place families cut into the brick wall,
    the bay itself I would make as a solid wall with openings, then run a molding as a void around the outer edges and insert the window into the opening using, if time was short, the curtain wall tool - or if the windows needed to appear in a schedule, make a proper window family.

The big sandstone windows I would also make as an inplace family solid extrusion with void moldings so as to get the blocks which project sideways into the brickwork - if the internal reveals taper than you might need an additional, shaped wall void opening to sit the sandstone family within - quite often the sandstone window assembly is thinner than the wall it sits in.

The spire could be done several ways - I tend to do this sort of thing (as attached view of roof and chimneys) with in-place families in several components which allows me to drag the bits around until they look right before finishing the family.

Decoration on the bricks like the arch I usually do as in-place families on the surface of the wall - most are one-offs and not worth building special families for.

I hope that is some help.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

William,

Very nice screen capture. I'm in love with the stone pattern of the walls. Is there any chance you would share that wall family?

Thanks,

Jeff S.

Login to Give a bone

no problem - what is the best way of extracting a wall family /material / pattern..

I've forgotten

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Smile Re: The...how would you draw this?!

Quote Originally Posted by ws View Post
    no problem - what is the best way of extracting a wall family /material / pattern..

I've forgotten
    Open a dummy project and paste a wall in. Purge all unused items save & close. The pattern should be kept within the project, so you shouldn't have to worry about going out to your network to find it. If it doesn't work, then I'll let you know.

Thank you very much,
    Jeff S.

Login to Give a bone

Here it is attached.

I drew this stone hatch pattern in 1993 and have transferred it to each cad system I have used ever since, being too lazy to create another

Our local stone is blue-green in colour - I assume the associated material texture will come with it (see attached for what it looks like rendered in Revit).
    Attached Files Attached Files

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by ws View Post
    Here it is attached.

I drew this stone hatch pattern in 1993 and have transferred it to each cad system I have used ever since, being too lazy to create another

Our local stone is blue-green in colour - I assume the associated material texture will come with it (see attached for what it looks like rendered in Revit).
    Thank you very much William... When I get a chance, I'll post a screen capture of a residential project I'm working on that could benefit from this wall.

Thanks again,

Jeff S.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast