Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Detail callouts

Login to Give a bone

Default Detail callouts

Is there a way to place a generic detail cut that I can edit on the sheet? I may be looking at this the wrong way but I need to be able to use our existing detail library.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Detail callouts

I'm guessing the details in question are done in Cad and not related back to the model.
    You need to create a detail group / family of basic plain text and lines so you can fill them out your self. I think it's made from a symbol family. The only other way to do that is to import that detail as a detail view, place it on a generic sheet and then when you place your sections, you have to relate that cut back to a detail view. Major pain in the ***.
    I'd just go with plain text and lines from symbol family, much easier.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the input

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jameseustace View Post
    Is there a way to place a generic detail cut that I can edit on the sheet? I may be looking at this the wrong way but I need to be able to use our existing detail library.
    As David mentioned, it will inevitably be a pain in order to get this to be 100% accurate since you will be combining static and ever changing things. That being said, what I found useful was to create a detail cut (mimicking our standards) which allows for text to be input as a parameter. Just in case, I added a parameter to the "leg" of the cut so that it may cross longer portions of a project if need be. I also went ahead and created a detail plan cut as well as an enlarged plan cut for detailing out big portions of a building - did this just by saving as and tweaking it.

Hope this helps some. Sorry there is no magical way to have Revit decipher our outside detail libraries.

Login to Give a bone

Morning James. Just wondering if you had any luck with those files.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by montoyam View Post
    Hope this helps some. Sorry there is no magical way to have Revit decipher our outside detail libraries.
    I just started building a Revit library within drafting views - I'm the only Revit user in the office so this is my own experiment. In your project file you can import these individual views from the "library" file [into the project file] and reference them in your project when you make detail cuts/callouts. I think that's a magical solution - I hope my invested time is worth the effort.

My experiments usually end with a better option I've found here on AUGI - I'm crossing my fingers for success.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by kcooper.190440 View Post
    I just started building a Revit library within drafting views - I'm the only Revit user in the office so this is my own experiment. In your project file you can import these individual views from the "library" file [into the project file] and reference them in your project when you make detail cuts/callouts. I think that's a magical solution - I hope my invested time is worth the effort.

My experiments usually end with a better option I've found here on AUGI - I'm crossing my fingers for success.
    Kristina,

Would you mind explaining your method a little more? I am having a hard time envisioning how it works...here is what I understood (feel free to clarify if I understood wrong): you are creating detail cuts and plan cuts in drafting views. You are then inserting these drafting views in your project as needed per each detail cut. This detail references your outside details.

My questions are these:
    (1) Did you make your drafting views using a parameter for the detail cut? If not, are you making views for every possible number for the views?
    (2) Did you import your detail library into Revit or are you still referencing outside details using your method?
    (3) Finally, have you tested your magic yet? I'd be very curious to know if you had luck.

::crossing fingers for you:: good luck!

Login to Give a bone

Morning James. Just wondering if you had any luck with those files.
    Actually they have gotten me going in the right direction as far as figuring out what I need to do. Thanks

Kristina,

Would you mind explaining your method a little more? I am having a hard time envisioning how it works...here is what I understood (feel free to clarify if I understood wrong): you are creating detail cuts and plan cuts in drafting views. You are then inserting these drafting views in your project as needed per each detail cut. This detail references your outside details.

My questions are these:
    (1) Did you make your drafting views using a parameter for the detail cut? If not, are you making views for every possible number for the views?
    (2) Did you import your detail library into Revit or are you still referencing outside details using your method?
    (3) Finally, have you tested your magic yet? I'd be very curious to know if you had luck.

::crossing fingers for you:: good luck!
    I second that for sure.

Login to Give a bone

Kristina,

Would you mind explaining your method a little more?... ::crossing fingers for you:: good luck!
    -- thanks!

Okay, so I'm trying this new "library" on one project in particular as a test:

1. Two files are involved here - one is the "project" file I need typical details for - the second is a "Library" file that ONLY holds drafting views (there is no project model involded).

2. The "Library" file has individual drafting views that [so far] hold general notes & a variety of typical details.

3. From the "Project" file, go to File--Insert From File--Views--(Browse to the "Library" file)--(Choose drafting views by name)--Click OK.

4. On your sheet [from the "project" file], drag and drop those newly inserted drafting views from th browser and give them a detail number.

5. In plan, elevation, or section (whichever) pick the detail cut as if you would normally draw it, but before you draw it look at the option bar -- check the "reference a referring view" and reference the appropriate detail/sheet number that refers to the appropriate inserted drafting views.

Your callouts are parametic, and can be referenced over and over. Plus, the drafting views (typical details) can be updated in the current project file [as needed] without changing the original "library" views.

Does that make complete sense?

Login to Give a bone

OH! And yes it is working brilliantly as of today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast