Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sheet Set Manager

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Sheet Set Manager

Hi there,

I am finally getting around to learning the SSM.
    I am using AutoCAD 2008.

I am able to use fields with the SSM to extract the drawing number and title.
    also
    I am able to use fields with a block placeholder (it's reading the file name).

However, I am unable to place the SSM Field in an xref and use it as a placeholder.
    It just isn't reading/displaying the current sheet name and description.

Do you know what I am doing wrong?

thanks!

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Sheet Set Manager

I guess this is a PS.

I know that it would work in the actual sheet,

But I am wanting to keep the SSM fields in my Titleblock Xref so I can lock out some very undiscipline users. I have quite a few monkeys that like tampering with stuff because they've been doing CAD for as long as I have been alive

also...
    it would allow me to quickly make global changes and keep all the sheets consistent.

thanks!

All AUGI, all the time TerribleTim's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Ok, I did the same thing. It's a bit of an issue, but can be tackled rather simply with a little education on the part of your users.

Here is the issue -
    I have a field in my title block (which is an x-ref, drawn in model space and x-refed into paper space on each sheet layout). I want that field to pull the Project Name from the SSM (I also want other fields to pull the issue date, the project phase, the project number and any other cool thing I can think of next). The thing you are fighting is that the actual title block drawing is only a model and is not actually associated with the sheet set in any way.

Here is the fix -
    You have to use a different field for this. You can't use any of the "Sheet Set Placeholder" fields or the "Current Sheet Set" fields. So, place a field using "Field Category: = SheetSet" (this is the top-left pull down list), "Field Names: = SheetSet" (this is the pull down list just below the first one) and then browse for your sheet set in the "Sheet set:" box (this is the one just to the right of the first one). Once you have your sheet set located you can chose the "Project Name" in the "Property:" box (this is the one in the lower-right corner). You can also set your text case settings here too in case you want all caps or something.

The Catch -
    While this works effectively, you have to manually update the field when moving to a new Sheet Set because it will not find the Sheet Set unless you "point" it to it. I keep these fields in my template file and for every new Sheet Set you have to go in and edit each field to "point" it to the right Sheet Set. But once it's set, your golden from then on for that file. It's just a little extra work getting my users to understand what they need to do, and why. They really don't get the "why" part, or maybe they don't care, I don't know.

I hope this helps you get it set up. It will work, it's just a little extra effort up front. But like most things, the extra effort up front saves you later on. Let me know if that made sense or if you need some more help. I swear by the SSM and do what I can to help those who try it out.

Oh yea, I forgot -
    If anyone else has a better way or an easier way, please let me know. This may not be the only way, it's just the only way I've found. Thanks.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Tim,

Thanks for you help, but I don't think we are on quite the same page.

I want to access the Sheet Properties (CurrentSheetTitle and CurrentSheetNumber)
    not
    the properties for the Sheet Set as you listed (ProjectNumber and ProjectName)

By using the SheetSet fields, I am forced to pick the actual sheet, where that should be automatic.

I can easily use a field to pull the CurrentSheet properties, the problem is that I want it entirely out of the hands of my techs.
    I can do this by leaving it in the TitleBlock Xref (which is in a read/execute only folder).

Sorry, does this make sense to you?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

The problem with what you are wanting to do is the fact that you want the Field to read "sheet-level" information while it is placed in an x-ref. Fields placed in external references can read system information, plotting and DWGPROPS information, but that's about it. Unless you place and configure your Fields in the same manner that Tim is stating, you're out of luck. AutoCAD doesn't allow Fields placed in an x-ref to read "sheet-level" information.

Please, someone, prove me wrong. I've tried to do this in the past, too, and was upset when I couldn't get it to work. My only suggestion is, as I have done in the past, place a request on the Wish List for Fields to be able to work for "sheet-level" information through an external reference. This doesn't solve the problem you have, but it could lead to a solution in the future.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

So I have no choice but to have it in my sheet.
    Either as text or a block?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I am also working with the Sheet List Table.

Is there a way to define what range of sheets I want to include?

All AUGI, all the time TerribleTim's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by ronsarlo View Post
    So I have no choice but to have it in my sheet.
    Either as text or a block?
    No, you aren't forced to have it in the sheets unless you really don't want to go through the method I outlined. Mine reside in the title block x-ref, using the method I outlined.

Like Indydrafter said. . .
    Quote Originally Posted by indydrafter View Post
    . . .Please, someone, prove me wrong. I've tried to do this in the past, too, and was upset when I couldn't get it to work. . .

Not to my knowledge. You get a list of every sheet in the set. Unless someone else has a method I haven't found yet?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I agree with Tim on the sheet list table function. I know of no way to create a partial table. With this, it is either all or nothing. However, you could get creative with how your organize and create your sheet set .dst files to potentially accomodate your needs.

Login to Give a bone

You can do a table with data extraction, and either pick which drawings you want to include, or pick an entire folder to include.

The latter works well if you want a list items in a sub-category - for instance, all of the 01 level supply piping sheets. Using a folder will also cause the table to auto add any new drawings that are added to that folder.

Unfortunately, updating the table is very memory hungry when you have a lot of drawings.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast