Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seeking AUGI members who use RS primarily for creating precast concrete members

Login to Give a bone

Cool Seeking AUGI members who use RS for creating ANY type of PRECAST CONCRETE MEMBERS

This is a stretch and may not necessarily be posted in the right place but here it goes...

I am hoping to get a very informal list of members that work mostly with precast concrete members (i.e. double tees, itbms, lbs, nlbs, arch. walls, etc.) in order to have a "go-to group" of people I can address questions and attempt to answer questions for in return.

I guess the goal is to try to avoid the redundant reading of posts hoping it applies to me (or you). This way I might reach out to a handful of users versus the whole lot.

I've not had any "formal" training in RS, simply learning as I go. I've searched and REsearched for internet guides, tutorials, videos - you name it. I've read forums and watched webcasts and visited AU for more how to applications. I feel I've got a pretty good feel for RS and find myself pretty capable of troubleshooting through some problems I face.

That being said, there are definitely still times where I simply don't know if something is even possible. Or how to begin. That's when I end up here or other forums.

So, if you're happy and you know it...argh. I mean if you'd like to be on the "go to" list in the future feel free to post comments here or send me a message.

I really do appreciate ALL help I have gotten through this forum. It's so nice to see people working together and sharing knowledge for the better cause. We all want the same thing, afterall.

Many thanks in advance.
    Margarita
    Last edited by montoyam; 2009-08-13 at 02:59 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Seeking AUGI members who use RS primarily for creating precast concrete members

Many views but no interest, it seems. That's alright. Thanks all.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Seeking AUGI members who use RS primarily for creating precast concrete members

Sorry, I was on vacation

On the other hand, I do not design only precast , so I would not qualify to answer.

Here have been some posts about precast. Do the search and you see who have been active on these threads.
    Priit
    Structural Engineer

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by montoyam View Post
    Many views but no interest, it seems. That's alright. Thanks all.
    I'm certainly interested, but like the last poster, I don't specialize in Precast. I'll be a regular lurker though on any posts you guys share.

Login to Give a bone

Excellent. Thanks.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

I have had some involvement with pre-cast and it is a tricky one to address, as various pre-cast elements require different scenarios for creation.

For Instance precast walls can have a number of different approaches, some use straight up walls to create their buildings then provide splits or edit profiles then embed in groups. Others have used curtain walls then modified the mullions to an air material and create the shape profile of the mullion for chamfers and gaps between walls, though this doesn't allow for 3D connection plates. Another option is using model in place which again is tedious but you can make them parametric and it will treat each panel as a different type, which is useful but can cost memeory.
    A more advanced option is to create parametric wall family components. When you create a model in place element you can group it then save it out as a group it will assign the object under the wall catagory (though you won't be able to see that in the family). You can then load this under project and it will appear there and you can begin to modify it. Not sure on the support but I have used this a couple of times. (Thanks DaveB for that one )

As for other options I recommend a combination of both parametric families and inplace models especially if you need to then translate these into other analytical packages.
    If you offer more specific examples I can provide suggestions (ie screen shots descriptions) While I am not a pre-cast expert I have had experience with different options at one point or another.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by m20roxxers View Post
    If you offer more specific examples I can provide suggestions (ie screen shots descriptions) While I am not a pre-cast expert I have had experience with different options at one point or another.
    Thanks for the response. I'll share a little of what I have been doing - as far as walls are concerned, I use the ootb walls and just use the join/disjoin feature to create the joints. Also, because the walls have the editable structure option, it gives me a nice place to go in and add reveals and sweeps very easily and accurately. As for the L-beams, start with the ootb version and edit it to include reveals since there is no other way (that I know of) to do so. Same for NLB spandrels.

The two big questions I have right now have to deal with double tees and columns. First, the column - if I use the ootb column (which I like because there is one with multi-layer corbels), as soon as I add an opening to the column it goes wacky and adds in a bunch of random corbels at odd spots. I cannot edit them nor delete them. This baffles me and I have a question out to Autodesk but no answer yet.

My biggest success (and failure) has to deal with the double tee. I have got it to a point where it "works" but is not perfect for use. I have created a tee that does what I want (can twist and slope to allow for drainage and ramping, it can have varying stem locations and overall tee size, I can even have pie-shaped tees by using two different profiles).

The problem is with adding in washes/recesses/voids. I have no idea how to address the washes/recesses since the tee is going to be twisting and there is no "face" I can have them "attach" to. As far as the void - I need to be able to add drainage blockouts but as soon as the family is loaded into the project and I attempt to add an opening - nothing happens. The only option I can use is a "shaft" but it doesn't cut anything.

This was a lengthier response than I expected. If you have any ideas on any of it, I'd love to hear back. I appreciate any help in advance.

Thanks again,

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

I modelled a fairly big slab with double tee’s and I beams. It was not for shop detailing though.
    I created my beams (and Tee’s) as generic families as I want o be able to control the actual length of them. To control the voids I placed voids in the family. I don’t see why you couldn’t do that with cast-in plates etc as well. If it is that you aim to use RST to shop detail the them I would think that would be the preferred way to go as you then can schedule the easlier?

With regards to precast walls Paul H had a good idea about using columns as precast walls as you can schedule them http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=100790&page=2

Cheers,

j

Login to Give a bone

Post Re: Seeking AUGI members who use RS primarily for creating precast concrete members

I'm very interested. Precast garages our big with us and are now moving into using RS to create them. I've been doing some testing to see what our skill level is and have 2 questions already:

1. I got the Precast Tee Family set up to the company "standards". When flat it looks correct but when I add a slope to the ramp area, the stems show up and are solid lines.

2. Looks like everyone else has this same issue. The 'twist' or double sloping" tee. Precast tees sloping for a ramp but also sloping at one corner for a drain.

Would be nice if the precast tees work just like the slab and can modify the elevations of the points.

Please see attached if what I'm saying is confusing.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jbeiermann View Post
    1. I got the Precast Tee Family set up to the company "standards". When flat it looks correct but when I add a slope to the ramp area, the stems show up and are solid lines.
    I experienced this one, just like you. If you open up your TT family you should be able to find a tool under Family Properties called "Category and Parameters". First, you will want to make sure that you have chosen a category for your TT (I use Structural Framing but you may choose different). Once you choose this, the box below should allow you to alter some visibility options. Right now I cannot remember the exact wording but it is something like, "hide parts hidden by other members" or something to that effect. Once you play with these settings, and reload - hopefully it will give you the desired look.

Quote Originally Posted by jbeiermann View Post
    2. Looks like everyone else has this same issue. The 'twist' or double sloping" tee. Precast tees sloping for a ramp but also sloping at one corner for a drain.

Would be nice if the precast tees work just like the slab and can modify the elevations of the points.

Please see attached if what I'm saying is confusing.
    I feel your pain with this issue. It took me several MONTHS to finally get my TT to a "working" point. Even after that, it would still not allow me to add openings. So I am STILL not done. However, I can share with you what I have discovered:

1. Chances are, you will need to start from scratch, like I did.
    2. You will need to create a NEW profile for your double tee which allows you to control the things your company needs. For me, it was very important to be able to change tee width and also the location of the stem from the edges. The profile that Revit had did not allow me to do this. So I created my own profile, added a few extra parameters, got rid of some of the ones they had added in and ended up with something I could work with.
    3. I created a new family using the "SWEPT BLEND" feature. It allows you to choose two different profiles (that you created in step 2 above) and you can then add different slopes to each one, thus giving you that twist that will account for the drainage.
    4. You'll probably end up tweaking it so you get it just right but like I said, I am still not done.

Most importantly, do not get discouraged. This is a learning process and you can message people on these forums and get great feedback. I have had the best luck this way. So, feel free to post your progress or additional questions.

Hope this helps. GOOD LUCK!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast