Thread: Window constrained to core doesn't flip properly

Login to Give a bone

Default Window constrained to core doesn't flip properly

I'm relatively new making families and could use some help or a nudge in the right direction on this one.

I've been trying to modify a window family to be placed relative to the core as opposed to the finished face. After getting into a great deal of confusion, I started over with a fresh window template and have attached the first part of my effort with that here. So far, the file contains only the frame of a window in an opening. In a side view, you can see that I've created a reference plane for the center of the core and have constrained the two halves of the frame to that. The outer faces of the frame are meant to extend beyond the core with a parameter so I can adjust for various finish thicknesses. I originally wanted constrain the inside face of the frame to the face of the finish, but noted that a generic wall doesn't have a finish (as far as I can tell) and so the family got confused when inserted into anything without finish layer - at least I think that was the problem. But that's not the reason for the post.

If you load this family into a new project and insert it into a generic 8" wall, it may look fine. But as soon as you try to flip it (with the double blue arrows) you'll see that the fat part and thin part of the frame do not switch places as they should and the offset from the core goes into the wall rather than out of the wall. I've been struggling with this for hours and can't figure it out. Does anyone know why this is happening?

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Window constrained to core doesn't flip properly

So, basically you are trying to constrain a window to the wall CORE and let the trim work and sill flex to the width of the wall...

Sounds pretty useful, though i have never tried it... Has anybody else created a wall family that interacts with the wall layers to this extent..???