Thread: Help with weld symbol

Login to Give a bone

Default Help with weld symbol

I'm new to families and thought that taking on the weld symbol would be a good way to learn, I think I've bitten off more than I can chew. I wanted to make the weld symbol shorter than the out of the box version and then have a parameter for weld length which would shrink the length even more when not checked. I also wnated to make the weld symbols themselves smaller.

I took different files from here and mixed and matched. My weld symbols are smaller and the length does flex when you check the length parameter but, there are a few configurations where my length won't flex correctly and I can't figure it out, I thinking it might have soemthing to do with the way I embeded the tail, all around symbol or laid out he weld length parameter.

I have attached an image that shows the conditions where the length doesn't flex circled in blue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and if you are able to fix, can you please give an explanation of what you did.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Help with weld symbol

Jeff,

I adjusted the vertical invisible line to make the leader hit the endpoint of the weld symbol correctly. I also re-adjusted the length dimension to be set on the center line of the weld around symbol. then I re-locked all the endpoint together correctly. I have been flexing it and have not had it fail yet.

It is not possible but I though through trying to make it so the weld length blanks would drive the weld length visible check box.

Attached is the corrected copy.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Thanks,

I will try it out. Sorry I didn't get this sooner after a few weeks of no replies I gave up.

Login to Give a bone

after trying your modifications it worked in the configurations mine didn't but, had issues with different configurations. The office decided to go with two symbols and we haven't had any problems. Thanks for help.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

The weld symbol probably wasn't the best choice to start out with. It's actually one of the more complicated annotation families. Mostly because Revit automatically puts the spring point of a leader at the end of the whole family, so that means that if you have all around symbol the leader will spring from the edge of the circle and not the center, and actually this is how symbol shipped in Revit Structure 3. It wasn't until one of the users here developed the symbol you get now, which I find interesting. Anyways basis of how it works is that the symbol is developed around the center point (the invisible line in the symbol), the all around and field weld symbols are set a certain distance away from that center line and pinned. There there is a driving parameter that controls the an offset value for the centerline reference plane. Seems if you set up parameter to move that plane the leader spring point will also move by that distance. Kind of a bug in my opinion, but they can't fix it or it will break their weld symbol. Unless they implemented a setting that allowed the user to define the exact location the leader springs from. Which wouldn't be a bad thing in my opinion. That would also take care the issue of tag leaders springing from different locations than text.