Thread: New Door / Exist Door in Plan view

Login to Give a bone

Default New Door / Exist Door in Plan view

I am working on creating door types for my office and in plan view we show new doors differently than we do existing doors. We show an arc for the swing on a new door and for an existing door just a stright line. See attached file.

Is there a way to create a graphic instance parameter so when a door is placed, we can select an option yes/no and it will change the swing line type?

Or should I just duplicate the door familiy and have a "New Door Familiy" and an "Existing Door familiy" and set the swing line type in each of the families.

Any help is appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: New Door / Exist Door in Plan view

In typical Door families, the door panel itself is modeled as an extrusion in the "closed" position. This is typically turned off the in Visibility Graphic setting for Plan Views.

The door swing and panel in the "open" position are usually just symbolic lines that are drawn in the Reference Level View and thus only display in Plan Views in the project.

You'll need two yes/no parameters: "New" and "Existing". Then you need to assign the symbolic lines' Visibility to the correct parameter. Finally, you'll need to add a logical formula to one of the yes/no parameters so when one of them is "on" the other is "off". E.g., for the "Existing" parameter have the formula be "not(New)". By toggling the "New" parameter, "Existing" will automatically be the opposite.

It's up to you whether the yes/no parameters are Type or Instance.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by sthedens View Post
    In typical Door families, the door panel itself is modeled as an extrusion in the "closed" position. This is typically turned off the in Visibility Graphic setting for Plan Views.

The door swing and panel in the "open" position are usually just symbolic lines that are drawn in the Reference Level View and thus only display in Plan Views in the project.

You'll need two yes/no parameters: "New" and "Existing". Then you need to assign the symbolic lines' Visibility to the correct parameter. Finally, you'll need to add a logical formula to one of the yes/no parameters so when one of them is "on" the other is "off". E.g., for the "Existing" parameter have the formula be "not(New)". By toggling the "New" parameter, "Existing" will automatically be the opposite.

It's up to you whether the yes/no parameters are Type or Instance.
    To add to this response. If you're trying to use Revit's built in Project Phase, then you're going to have an issue. I'm very sure you can not control a families parameter by phase. If you have an existing building and you're trying to remodel it in phases, the door is always going to be existing until it's demolished. Fine whatever. But, what happens to a door that is new in phase one and in phase two is now existing? If you change the parameter to read as existing, it will change phase one schedule as well. So do you leave it as new throughout the entire project? I don't know either. Revit will change the door from a previous phase to screened in a later phase. Maybe this will work for you, maybe not. Please tell us how you plan on resolving you issue.

Best of luck,

Jeff S.

Login to Give a bone

Sad to say that over 8 years after this original post, there is still no solution to this issue. I also want the doors to change their swing angle automatically, based on the comparison of the phase the object was created in vs. the phase of the view. Unfortunately, those parameters are not accessible for use in filters, formulae, etc. Not sure if it can be done using phase filters, either...