See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creating a Venting Line Pattern

Login to Give a bone

Default Creating a Venting Line Pattern

Hey all,

I was wondering how to create a Vent Line Pattern for Revit. In the Line Pattern editor/creator you have a choice to use Dots,Dashes, and spaces. What if I want a Letter in the line pattern or even better some sort of design in the line pattern.

Here is a quick example using text...
    -------V--------V-------V------V------

If needed I can screen shot my Vent line from aCAD. I have tried to import my Vent line pattern from AutoCAD with no success.

Kirk

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Creating a Venting Line Pattern

Heh.

Welcome to Revit, where we don't like linetypes with text in them. Frustrating as hell, I know. For now, you'll have to use tags or place manual text over the line.

Login to Give a bone

Darn. I was hoping that someone knew a way to insert the text into the line or even if someone knew a way to have the Dashes on a angle kind of like this -

___/\____/\_____/\____

Login to Give a bone

Ahhhh, Kirk is not looking on the L drive! Nor is he asking his in-house buddies for help! Nor is he using the Portal! Ewwwwww!

Ok, go to the L drive where our custom content is and keep going to the following location.....\Architectural Library\Families\Detail Components\00 Misc. Here you'll find the family DC_Linetype_LB_shw.rfa. You can create different types with any letter/letters you want, vary the spacing, etc. There are some family types that serve as an example, so I'm sure you'll figure out how to use the family and add your own designations.

As for the rest reading this post, I'm in a sharing mood, so I'm attaching the family
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Well, I was looking for you on the Instant Messenger. should have sent an e-mail your way. You should share the wealth of knowlegde with everyone Us Michigan people had no clue that existed on the network.

Thanks Dave.

Login to Give a bone

I will Get ahold of you tomorrow. This will not work for what I am trying to do. What you are telling me to do is creating a Line family. I knew we can create something like this. But I need to create a Line pattern which I can select from the Line pattern so I can set it to a Pipe System.

Login to Give a bone

Hey David, on Kirk's defense, he always ends up asking me (1 of his in-house buddies) before he posts on AUGI (at least usually)... I told him that I didn't know anyway to create a custom line pattern other than dashes and dots...which is what he really needed for MEP.

I then told him to post it here to see what workarounds people might have. And drawing line based families would not be efficient at all.

Quote Originally Posted by dbaldacchino View Post
    Ahhhh, Kirk is not looking on the L drive! Nor is he asking his in-house buddies for help! Nor is he using the Portal! Ewwwwww!

Ok, go to the L drive where our custom content is and keep going to the following location.....\Architectural Library\Families\Detail Components\00 Misc. Here you'll find the family DC_Linetype_LB_shw.rfa. You can create different types with any letter/letters you want, vary the spacing, etc. There are some family types that serve as an example, so I'm sure you'll figure out how to use the family and add your own designations.

As for the rest reading this post, I'm in a sharing mood, so I'm attaching the family

Login to Give a bone

I understand what he needs (he explained further). I thought this was a detailing question. As to asking "in-house" I was referring to everyone else besides you I'll be diving into RMEP in the coming months so I can be of some help.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by krylance View Post
    I will Get ahold of you tomorrow. This will not work for what I am trying to do. What you are telling me to do is creating a Line family. I knew we can create something like this. But I need to create a Line pattern which I can select from the Line pattern so I can set it to a Pipe System.
    Any update on this request/need (creating a line pattern with letters)? I can't seem to find any updated information and I really want/need this to work.

Login to Give a bone

There is no way to create such line style as a line pattern other than the solution provided (line-based detail component family).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast