Thread: I modified this family but.......

Login to Give a bone

Default I modified this family but.......

I'm trying to create a emergency power pack with heads. Everything seems to work fine with what I have, but I then noticed that on the second floor of the building all the power packs I placed on the first are showing in the second floor plans. I've tried everything from view depth, etc. The only thing I noticed was that if I move the elevation to 5' instead of 7' it is no longer showing in the second floor plans. I've attached my modified family because I think that is where the problem is. If someone thinks it is in the project setup please let me know.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: I modified this family but.......

The problem really isn't the family itself, but the nested family that you have inside of it that defines the light sources. You need to edit the light source family and shorten the reference lines that define the origin of the light source. Right now the reference lines "extend" 6' to 7' beyond the light source and are causing the lighting fixture to be "cut" by the floor above.

(a bit of an unrelated question, but do you really need light sources in an emergency pack?)

jason

Login to Give a bone

i don't think you can get around having them. once you set the family as a light fixture category, it puts the light source in there. i've tried to get rid of them and haven't been able to figure out how.
    mike

Login to Give a bone

You can turn off the light source in Family Category and Parameters dialog. In this case there are 2 families nested in the family that contain nothing but light sources for the 2 emergency heads.

jason

Login to Give a bone

you should be able to toggle on/off whether you want a light source in the family category and paramters settings. looks like if that is turned off or if shortened as jason.martin said, you might solve the issue of it showing on the floor above. seems like there should be a better solution??

(you beat me to it jason)

Login to Give a bone

Thanks.... I would have never figured that out. How did you know to even look there? I guess just experience.

Login to Give a bone

The fact that it was showing on the 2nd floor view indicated that part of the geometry of the family was somehow included in the 2nd floors view range.

While inspecting the family itself, I couldn't find any geometry that indicated it should "extend" that far. I kept looking in different views to try to find some "stray" geometry and couldn't... for a while. I did notice that when I "mouse over" in some cases the Level in the family, that one of the light sources would pre-highlight. I couldn't actually see the geometry that was making it pre-highlight, but obviously Revit was aware of it??

In other words, luck with a bit of experience.

jason