Thread: ACA 2009 - images plotting with "background"

Login to Give a bone

Default ACA 2009 - images plotting with "background"

Here's the challenge we're facing: when printing from ACA to our Ricoh multi-function printer (Aficio 3235C) with images and gradient hatches, the printer fills in gaps with an additional background (rectangular) [see "Ricoh background plot.jpg"]. To my knowledge this is a recent development, but we can't pinpoint when it started because it's not something we do regularly. It is only occuring from ACA and only on this printer (we circumvent by plotting to PDF, then to the Ricoh when necessary).

Settings tested:
    Linework Merge: on or off (acts as if off whether on or not)
    Imageframe 0, 1, or 2 (but background printing is not image background, but plumb extents of image background when image is rotated [see "Floor Plan.jpg"])
    Transparency: on - background shows through; off - background overwritten [see "Floor Plan.jpg"]
    Updated to latest RPCS driver - same issue remains

Arrows with background are dynamic blocks with polylines and hatches (gradient), not images. After much exploration/testing, I discovered it was the gradient hatch causing the problem in this case. [see "Arrows.jpg"]

Found similar issue at: http://forums.augi.com/showthread.ph...ighlight=Ricoh, but no resolution here.

Searched Ricoh USA Support for AutoCAD related issues with no results. My experience with our local technical support in relation to CAD and this printer is they have no clue how to interface. I did submit a question to them - we'll see if they provide anything useful.

Meanwhile, does anyone in AUGI-land have ideas???

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: ACA 2009 - images plotting with "background"

Here is the results of my communication with Ricoh support (most recent first):

Customer 08/28/2009 01:44 PM
    While the PCL driver did work (i.e. did not produce the odd background), the RPCS driver also worked after the computer was restarted.

Thank you for your assistance.

Response (Bob R.) 08/27/2009 07:27 PM
    I discussed your issue with the engineering staff and it was recommended to use a PCL driver for these AutoCAD print jobs

Customer 08/27/2009 07:20 PM
    Today, I updated to the most current RPCS driver available from Ricoh: 8.61. The problem persisted after the update.

Response (Bob R.) 08/27/2009 07:15 PM
    What driver are you using to print the files

Customer 08/27/2009 02:06 PM
    When I print an image (TIFF or other) or gradient hatch from AutoCAD Architecture 2009, the image prints with a background that does not appear in the preview or prints from other printers/plotters.

I have explored setting changes in AutoCAD with no satisfaction.

Are there settings in the Aficio 3235C Preferences or Properties that may be affecting this situation?
    So my final solution was "reboot the computer after updating the printer driver".
    (And the response to myself was, "well, Do'oh!" <head slap>)

Now all I have to do if figure out why the PCL & RPCS drivers print the same file in different colors (unfortunately, the PCL driver appears to have truer colors, but I like the functionality of the RPCS better). Oh well - on to the next task.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: ACA 2009 - images plotting with "background"

Quote Originally Posted by CAD'iva View Post
    Now all I have to do if figure out why the PCL & RPCS drivers print the same file in different colors (unfortunately, the PCL driver appears to have truer colors, but I like the functionality of the RPCS better). Oh well - on to the next task.
    I ran into that too, at my old firm. I never found a solution, sorry to say.
    R. Robert Bell
    Design Technology Manager
    Stantec
    Opinions expressed are mine alone and do not reflect the views of Stantec.