Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question:Change a Components Level when greyed out

Login to Give a bone

Default Question:Change a Components Level when greyed out

I know there must be a simple answer. Residential: I have tried to install a tub on the lower level but it attaches to an associated level BF below (how to change this)? The level constraint is greyed out. Other fixtures insert correctly from the library at the correct level and they are not greyed out only the tubs. I think I have two issues why is the level contraint greyed out in the properties and where do you modify associated levels? I have tried everything I can think of. I'm still a novice trying to learn. JD

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Question:Change a Components Level when greyed out

Are you using worksets? If this element is not editable because it's in an unopened workset, you need to open that or click on the puzzle piece to make this element editable.

Login to Give a bone

Not sure what is causing your problem, but a solution is to select the tub in the model and hit the copy button. Then hit Paste-Aligned and select By Level and select the correct level. That should work in most cases.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Wink Re: Question:Change a Components Level when greyed out

The tub Family may be "hosted" by a floor or a wall, or "unhosted", depending
    on how it was originally created.

You may be able to "re-host" the tub by selecting "pick host".

The one I just loaded was a wall-hosted tub, so I was able to move it's
    host to different walls easily.

The tub Family most likely has a "system level" associated with it.
    Open the Family editor, and take a look at an elevation view. There should be a default
    Level called "Floor Line" or something like that. When you load the family into your project,
    and then place the tub, Revit is "looking" for a host ( if it is a hosted family )

Hope this helps a bit. Do a search in Revit Help for "hosted families", and non- hosted
    families--which are a bit more flexible. Be especially careful when using Groups
    and having wall hosted families in the group--as they may not mirror or copy properly.

cheers.......

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for all your suggestions. I wasn't using work groups. I finally solved my problem after much frustration. It was a hosting issue. The view I was working hosted the tub at a BF level below the slab. I must have created it wrong. I recreated the LL view then deleted the old one. When I inserted the tub it went to the 1st flr. which I rehosted the tub (std) in the section view. The issue must have become a problem when I created a view earlier. I need to find our how to make the level constraints in Element Properties active which I think would resolve my issue. Thanks for the input. Learning everyday, Jan Donelson, St. Louis

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jan.76519 View Post
    ...Jan Donelson, St. Louis
    Long time no see. How are things going, Jan?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jan.76519 View Post
    Thanks for all your suggestions. I wasn't using work groups. I finally solved my problem after much frustration. It was a hosting issue. The view I was working hosted the tub at a BF level below the slab. I must have created it wrong. I recreated the LL view then deleted the old one. When I inserted the tub it went to the 1st flr. which I rehosted the tub (std) in the section view. The issue must have become a problem when I created a view earlier. I need to find our how to make the level constraints in Element Properties active which I think would resolve my issue. Thanks for the input. Learning everyday, Jan Donelson, St. Louis
    New issue: I feel I'm plagued. Now even though I have doors already on this lower level in place it won't let me insert any new door "error, can't cut instance out of wall" is this related to the previous. Where can I get the answer.? Thanks.

Aaron, at the moment feeling perplexed. Otherwise well, still trying to master the simple trials.
    Last edited by jan.76519; 2009-08-28 at 03:38 PM. Reason: add acknowledgement

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

When placing the door family, go to properties and make sure the Level is set to the Level
    you want to place the door on, and that there are no "offsets" above or below the Level
    in the Door Properties.

cheers............

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the reply Cliff and your suggestion. The work plane is set to the lower level. I expanded the range of the wall ht. to the 2nd level. The door was being placed on the first level so I could then modify the properties. Prior to that placement that modification option was not available. There must be a global setting to insert a component into a view other than setting the work plane in that view. I placed doors previously on this level in the other view I deleted mentioned previously without a problem. The difficulty I'm having appears to be the same I had with the tub placement. Any ideas or searches I can make are welcome. Thanks, Jan

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Sound like a bit of Revit 101 would help:

Revit's Levels are horizontal datums that run through the entire model.
    Elements such as walls and floors need to be constrained to these Levels,
    as they are in the real world.

Elements like doors, windows and bathtubs are usually hosted by walls or floors
    which are tied to the Levels.

So--if you are trying to place a door, it must be hosted by a wall. The wall is set to
    start at its base level constraint, and then extend vertically, to the next Level above,
    or as specified by the user ( unconnected, offset, etc.) So there is a hierachy of Level,
    Host, and family. It takes a bit of getting used to at first, but makes a lot of sense.

If you are in a Floor Plan View, it was generated most typically when the Level was placed.
    You can check this by looking at an elevation--the Levels which have Plan Views associated with them are blue, ones without plan views are black. So--if you need to place a door in the basement level, go to the basement level plan. Check the properties of the wall--its constraints at the base and top. It should be located with its base constraint at the basement level, and perhaps attached to the level above, or a specific height--like 8 feet. Check this before trying to place a door in the wall, so you are oriented in the Z dimension.

Also try "tiling" a 3D view with the Plan View--so you can see the walls and doors
    in both Plan and 3D simultaneously. This really helps when you are placing something
    and "it's not coming in right".

Remember, you are not "drawing"--you are building a model of the project!

Hope that helps a bit. Welcome to BIM land!

cheers......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast