Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No key...

Login to Give a bone

Default No key...

I was looking online to try and find a "re-seller" of some of the Autodesk programs, but I don't know really where to start, looking for some help perhaps?

I am looking to possibly pick-up a Civil 3D 2008 on the Cheap? I see that people sell it on Ebay as MEDIA ONLY? What does that mean, and I also see complete versions, but CANT BE REGISTERED, what does that mean?

thanks for any help or Ideas

All AUGI, all the time brian.hailey933139's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: No key...

According to Autodesk, you can only purchase Autodesk programs through authorized chanels. If you purchase from e-bay, you are in essence stealing the program (according to Autodesk). There was recently a case that went to court where Autodesk was trying to get someone to stop selling software on ebay, software that someone had purchased legally, and was no longer using. I don't remember ever hearing how that case turned out. I'm sure someone here can help you out if you are interested.

If you want to get it legally on the cheap, you can't (again, according to Autodesk). If you are unemployed and can prove it, Autodesk will give you a limited license to use to keep your skills up to speed.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the info.

So authorized dealers only huh? I will check it out. I am not unemployed, but I don't want to use my company's software to do personal designs and what not?

Thanks again

Anybody else have any ideas?

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

You can look into home use through your work. We have home use licenses through our office. You get the same CAD at home as your office and it's free so long as you continue to work there.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by adam_J View Post
    I see that people sell it on Ebay as MEDIA ONLY? What does that mean, and I also see complete versions, but CANT BE REGISTERED, what does that mean?
    "Media only", and "can't be registered" -- in the best case scenario, these could describe a legitimate user who for whatever reason doesn't need the software any longer and is trying to resell it. If you buy one of these, you can do whatever you need with it - (assuming you can get it to run without a code from Autodesk) - and nobody will ever know the difference. Just don't try to register it or use it for an upgrade.

BUT - this could also be a copy of a legitimate program that is still in use. (I.E.: someone makes a copy of their employers media disk, and sells it on eBay) -or- it could be a warez (pirated) copy -or- even worse, you might get a CD filled with garbage....

I would forget eBay copies and ask your employer about a home license, or use your home computer to connect to your office via VPN and then use Remote Desktop to run your office PC from home.
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Login to Give a bone

When I looked at this thread yesterday AM I thought it was about Desc Keys and marked it read.
    Silly me.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Jmurphy View Post
    When I looked at this thread yesterday AM I thought it was about Desc Keys and marked it read.
    Silly me.
    Yea, the title doesn't really match the question...

Login to Give a bone

The individual selling it on ebay is selling many Autodesk Products. It says that it can be loaded on upto 5 PC's and is the full version for approximately $750 - $1000. That is so much better than the $9000 Autodesk wants for C3D 2010. I would even settle for C#D 2008 if I could get my hands on it.

I don't believe that a home use license is available for me. I want to start to do some work on the side but with the cost of the software it looks like I won't be able to even bring my skills up to par to even start.

Any other ideas out there.

Sorry about the TITLE of the original post. I figured that the "key" was universal for the registration key or registration code?

Thanks for any info. I'm a young'er engineer trying to get a good handle on this software to get ahead a bit.

-me-

Login to Give a bone

Exclamation Re: No key...

Quote Originally Posted by adam_J View Post
    The individual selling it on ebay is selling many Autodesk Products. It says that it can be loaded on upto 5 PC's and is the full version for approximately $750 - $1000. That is so much better than the $9000 Autodesk wants for C3D 2010. I would even settle for C#D 2008 if I could get my hands on it.
    Good luck, let us know how that works out.
    I have to wonder how this "seller" is able to make a profit by selling a $9000 application for $750 - $1000...?

Quote Originally Posted by adam_J
    I don't believe that a home use license is available for me. I want to start to do some work on the side but with the cost of the software it looks like I won't be able to even bring my skills up to par to even start.
    That is the cost of doing business. I would like to drive a Lexus or Mercedes, but the cost of the product rules that out for me also....

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by rkmcswain View Post
    Good luck, let us know how that works out.
    I have to wonder how this "seller" is able to make a profit by selling a $9000 application for $750 - $1000...?
    interesting point. And adam_J you may want to rethink your approach. Using software that is not authorized or properly purchased in a business venture can quickly get you into some trouble.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast