See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Revision Clouds

Login to Give a bone

Default Revision Clouds

Is there anyway to draw more uniform revision clouds in Revit? Typically we use a standard arc length on boxes around the revision to draw the clouds in AutoCAD. Is there a way to closer replicate that cloud rather than the default Revit revision clouds?

Thanks,

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revision Clouds

The only way to do this is with detail components either a line based or a repeating detail.

That way the arcs will appear uniform.

But they will not react to the Revision system.

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

By design you get little arc big arc and the points you place define their overall size. You could create some sort of template that provided consistent pick points so each pair of arcs would be the same (same little arc big arc combination).

Then again a revision cloud imitates a freehand sketch around an issue and the carelessness of the cloud sticks out and draws attention from the conformity of the rest of the documentation, intentionally. Perfect clouds blend in a bit don't they?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Stafford View Post
    By design you get little arc big arc and the points you place define their overall size. You could create some sort of template that provided consistent pick points so each pair of arcs would be the same (same little arc big arc combination).

Then again a revision cloud imitates a freehand sketch around an issue and the carelessness of the cloud sticks out and draws attention from the conformity of the rest of the documentation, intentionally. Perfect clouds blend in a bit don't they?
    I quite like the "freehand sketch imitation"

Besides, we have all seen the attached image before.....!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

That cloud in the floor has been attributed to mis-read annotation, and therefore mis-applied construction, but supposedly it is just an example of using an available core drill to resolve the lack of a formed opening. Fun to think it is the other though I suppose.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Stafford View Post
    That cloud in the floor has been attributed to mis-read annotation, and therefore mis-applied construction, but supposedly it is just an example of using an available core drill to resolve the lack of a formed opening. Fun to think it is the other though I suppose.
    Much more amusing to think of it as a photoshopped pic used to convey a sense of the wackyness and hi-jinks that occur on the construction site rather than a gaping opening in the floor from which all the reinforcing has been cut.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

The office workers here tried to convince me that classic pic was of someone cutting out clouds on a drawing, too, but I personally have used a drill to cut out an opening when I did not have the right tool for the job.

Login to Give a bone

The point is being missed here. If you want to be messy and draw like it is freehand then you should have the option but the tool is clunky and limiting. My time is worth more than the ability to 'mimic', it can take forever to draw multiple or complex clouds. Why can't we just have the tool types that came with Autocad, i.e. draw using lines or a rectangle? I'd pay good money for this add-in.

Login to Give a bone

I have to agree with Chris. The rev cloud tool itself isn't very fun to use. Frankly it sucks IMHO. I'd love to have the same options that I do in Acad. Draw a line and convert it. Making 100 picks to draw a rev cloud isn't fun. In Acad, I could do it in 4. But I have a feeling Adesk will get around to fixing this tool about the same time they decide that the text editor really dose need to be fixed or updated.