Thread: Looking for Help on creating Dynamic blocks / Staggerd Section Cut

Login to Give a bone

Question Looking for Help on creating Dynamic blocks / Staggerd Section Cut

Hello
    My name is Jeff

I have been working with AutoCAD since release 9, I have worked in the Architectural Commercial world, and the Engineering Industrial world for about 20yrs, I have been a CAD Manager for three of the companies I have worked for. I have never had problems implementing the standards that I have created at any of the previous companies. After leaving my last job, in the Architectural commercial world to go back to the Engineering Industrial world that I left for over 10 years, I have struggled with implementing the standards that I have created. I have been volunteered by management (I did not ask for the job), to be the CAD Manager for the company I currently work for. It has been painfully obvious that the Engineering Industrial world has not been keeping up with the new features being provided by Autodesk. It looks like most of the companies stopped reading, what is New in AutoCAD around R14, and it is killing me. I am trying not only to show the cad personnel at my company the new and better ways of doing drawings, but the companies we work for as well. Template files, Tool palettes, Ribbons, Dynamic blocks, CUI, MText, Standard Annotation symbols, like section cut and detail tags, Dimension styles, ect. ect. all the way back to R14 and stoped, a dead stop. In the Architectural world we always let the reseller create the standard content we needed and we would just implement it, very easy. The Industrial world, or at least the company I work for will not do it this way, I have to create the standards basically on my own time and implement them after I train about 30 cadd designers how to use them. On a daily basis I hear at least 3 times, why are you changing the way I draw, that is not the way it is being done at my last job, we have been doing it this way for years. All I can say is, I am not changing the way things are being done, but only adding to the way you get them done. One of my favorite comebacks is, I am only trying to make things easier and more proficient, and I need your help. Try it this way and let me know how I can make it better for you, I can not do it without your help, or try it this new way for 30 days, and if you do not like it you can go back to the other way, not to steal anything from Lynn Allen.

I have been reading a lot of information about CUI customization, tool palettes, ribbons, and dynamic blocks. I have a handle on CUI customization, tool palettes, and ribbons. Autodesk has made these thinks kid friendly, lol but the dynamic blocks have really challenged me to step up my game. I have been watching some videos from my subscription account by Matt Murphy. That guy is a genius, and I have learned a lot. I have also found the Dynamic Block – Sharing on the AUGI forum site. Most of the content that I have learned from was posted by Rico and Chris. I would find things I liked and tried to figure out how they did it, to learn more about Dynamic Blocks. I have been working on this staggered section cut for about 3 to 4 days, but it is the first dynamic block that I have created. I am posting it to this web site to get your comments on it. To see if I did it the right way, and to see if there is a way to make it better, or if I should not quit my day job at McDonalds, as the tray washer. I am also posting it without instructions, on how to use it. I work with 30 other CAD designers and I do not want to send out a handout on how to use this block. Most of the handouts go straight in the trash and I am a tree hugger. Lol or maybe they just do not know how to read. You can be as brutal to me as you like, because I am hear to learn as much as I can from you. Do not worry I was a whipping boy in my past life, make me cry. I will only be Very appreciative of the time you spent to make me better at my new unwanted job as the CADD Manager.

Thanks
    Jeff

P.S.
    I Hope I posted this the right way
    Attached Files Attached Files

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Looking for Help on creating Dynamic blocks / Staggerd Section Cut

All I found was a standard drawing, no dynamic actions. Maybe I am a little slow this morning.

Attached is your drawing with a couple other section marks that I found around here in the last year or so.

John
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

I think you have to download the file to a folder, than insert it, in a drawing.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Got it to work, never ran into that situation before of having to insert into a drawing to see the dynamic features.

Overall after a short test drive it appears to work well

John

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by FJRHO.227603 View Post
    I Hope I posted this the right way
    Well, the drawing posted but...

When posting samples of a DBlock, insert the DBlock in a sample drawing and post that sample drawing. It saves others from doing that or suffering confusion about the posted drawing.

P.S. I've found that "feature molasses" seems to be on a firm-by-firm basis and not just on the industry.
    R. Robert Bell
    Design Technology Manager
    Stantec
    Opinions expressed are mine alone and do not reflect the views of Stantec.

Login to Give a bone

Thumbs up Re: Looking for Help on creating Dynamic blocks / Staggerd Section Cut

I also work in the same field as you. My experience has been some what similar. The only difference is that the company I work for is all about the newest tech! I got lucky. But we constantly see that with our competitors. Just remeber you can't change everyone.

The block looks pretty good. The only thing I would change is the position 2 from a point parameter to a linear parameter. The only reason being that it would force the stretch to only occur left to right & not up/down. That is if it is designed to opperate that way. I try to only allow the blocks to be modified as intended.

Good work!