Thread: Metal studs/Woods stud layout Tools

Login to Give a bone

Default Metal studs/Woods stud layout Tools

It would be great to have to same abilities to layout light gage metal studs or wood studs as what you have with the concrete rebar tools including extensions to frame out around openings in walls and corners etc. A significant advantage to this verses using columns or custom families would be the file size. It does not appear to me that the rebar add very much to the file size or slows the graphics down too much so a similar component for studs I hope would impact the file and speed in the same manner.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Metal studs/Woods stud layout Tools

There is already an addon which appears to handle this quite well.
    I can't get approval at my company to try it out because of cost - (when it could clearly save alot of cost assuming it works well)
    However this is the fun part of beaurocracy I guess....

http://www.strucsoftsolutions.com/mwf.asp

I believe for architects this would be a pretty useful tool
    I wonder if anyone else is using this plug-in and if they can comment on it's usefulness?
    I may yet be able to convince the powers that be...

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

I have had some experience using this tool, while it works quite nicely I believe the devil is in the details. (reminds me of Revit )

There is alot of great functionality in it, it wasn't applicable to our firm so we did not purchase I believe it could benefit from a more indepth user manual explaining some of the templates and settings, but on the whole I found it pretty useful.

If I was to have one complaint it was the in ability to stop studs at level heights of walls rather then following the shape of the wall (such as a gable) to the roof line.

so therefore you would have to slplit the walls into multiple to acheive this.

www.tools4revit.com also has some nice functionality regarding this but I am yet to test this out.

I could stop if I wanted to FOUTJM's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Try a beam system in elevation...works pretty well.
    little more work....

Login to Give a bone

I appreciate the input on workarounds for stud framing. My point that I tried to make is that there is already a tool in Revit that has similar layout capabilities that I am looking for regarding metal/wood studs. I have done quite a bit of work with the rebar tools and after some initial frustration, I have been able to get it such that we can efficiently and competitively, produce rebar shop drawings right out of Revit without the use of external add-ons or third party software. The goal is to do the same for metal stud framing. In most of our projects studs are mainly a backup system to the exterior as well as some soffit framing so we just need a basic layout tool to accomplish the task. The nice thing about keeping it in Revit through out is that we can start detailing this during the production of CD’s rather than waiting until the end of CD’s. This allows us to be more efficient with the framing layout, being able to track quantities continuously as well as reducing the schedule.

Login to Give a bone

Cool Re: Metal studs/Woods stud layout Tools

Hello fellow stud maker..

I've recently made the transition from using Revit in the Architecture realm to now implimenting BIM/VDC for a large sub-contractor who installs Metal stud framing. We have purchased and are using the StrucSoft MWF addin. As many apps in thier infancy there are still tools to be refined. But, getting into the software now will allow you to understand the concepts and workflows needed to be productive within Revit. The product provides you with the ability to create 3d stud components and 2d drafting views extremely fast. I recommend the purchase. It's better than starting from scratch and they are doing all the research and refining for you. But, I always recommend learning the ins and outs of Revit Family creation. Know ALL your tools and gather your resources. Have fun...