Thread: copy block and assign omits parameters

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Login to Give a bone

Default copy block and assign omits parameters

I am using blocks that are simple rectangles of various sizes with parameters that provide their width and hight. I am use data extraction to create a table of the block name, number of times it appears, and the overall dimensions. I also have an attribute that defines the "type" of block it is. I have arrayed the blocks into a grid and now need to name them based on their placement in the grid, i.e. A1, A2, A3, B1, B2, B3, etc.

I need to click on a block, COPY BLOCK AND ASSIGN a new name to it, but maintain its exact size, attribute, and parameters. When I do this the parameters dissapear. This will mean I have to open each block and add the parameters back in, which is going to take me a ton of time. HELP!!!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: copy block and assign omits parameters

Your process is broken because you are trying to do something that won't work so well. Why not have an attribute definition that will provide the A1, A2, ... values rather than forcing the block name to attempt to provide that variable data? After all, that is the purpose of attributes, not block names.
    R. Robert Bell
    Design Technology Manager
    Stantec
    Opinions expressed are mine alone and do not reflect the views of Stantec.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by RobertB View Post
    Your process is broken because you are trying to do something that won't work so well. Why not have an attribute definition that will provide the A1, A2, ... values rather than forcing the block name to attempt to provide that variable data? After all, that is the purpose of attributes, not block names.
    I read this post and was ready to explain why your idea won't work, but after thinking about it I feel kind of stupid. Of course that is how I should do it. I think I need more sleep. Thanks for the help!

Login to Give a bone

OK, something is messed up. I had 96 blocks called "PanelA" in my drawing. I copied one of them to the side, exploded it, created an attribute for the "LABEL" and re-created the block. It asked if I wanted to redefine block "PanelA" and I clicked YES. Now, believe it or not, I have two blocks in my drawing that are BOTH called "PanelA." One of them has the attribute and the other 96 do not. If I double click on the one with the attribute, it asks me to fill in the attribut information. If I double click on the one without the attribute, it opens the block editor. I have another guy in the office looking at it with me, we are both fairly AutoCAD savy, and we cannot figure it out. They have the exact same name!!!

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Use "attsync" that should make the attribute visible in the other blocks.

john