Thread: VPN or Remote Desktop?

Login to Give a bone

Default VPN or Remote Desktop?

We are looking at moving from our current network setup, which consists of an onsite data server and client PC LAN, in favour of an offsite data server maintained by a third party company. Autocad is installed on the client PCs, so only the data files would be opened remotely.

This server would be accessed either by a VPN or Remote Desktop, and we are trying to decide which method would be the best to use. Is anyone aware of any issues that either of these methods of access might cause with Autocad?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: VPN or Remote Desktop?

I would suggest going with VPN as opposed to Remote. I worked at a place where we would use both and found that the VPN worked best for us. It was a quicker and more solid connection.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks!

What line speed did you have? We were looking at a 2mb leased line, although we've been told that a min of 10mb would be needed

Additionally, would having xrefs attached will affect performance? Our xrefs are generally less than 1mb, although they can sometimes go up to 5mb.

Login to Give a bone

Sorry, I don't remember the speeds. But we did find that referenced files were slow to load. Once they did it wasn't so bad.

Login to Give a bone

Remote desktop, would allow for xref to load quicker - basically you are connecting to a computer on site. However the graphics would not be the best.
    VPN would give you direct access to the server and allow you to work as if you were there. I think you are going to take a hit on speed.
    I would recommend that you take a look at a process that allows you to check out the drawings and do all your work on your local computer. That way you are basically copying the files to your local

just my .02 cents worth

Patrick Johnson
    http:\\www.cadenhancement.com

Login to Give a bone

I primarily do Civil, with a lot of Xref and Dref civil 3d stuff. VPN is (IMO) less usable in that scenario as so much information has to travel across the internet connection, Using Remote desktop is faster for me, as the massive quantities of data stay in the office, near the server, and I only have to transfer the display and mouse across the web. Graphics can be a bit awkward (especially panning with the mouse center button) but overall RD works better for me.