Thread: door family (ARCH/STRUCT problem)

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default door family (ARCH/STRUCT problem)

REVIT 2009
    ARCH + STRUCT

overhead coiling door family
    12' H
    20' W
    6" bollards
    1'- 6" coil block at top of door opening

when revit stucture imports our door, it shows up as 13' 6" X 21' 6" void in wall (as they want the opening to design the rebar in the panel

is there something that we are missing about the door family that it is defaulting to the overall size of the door family rather than the actual door void cut in wall?

suggestions?

thanks,
    Last edited by btrusty; 2009-09-16 at 06:28 PM.

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: door family (ARCH/STRUCT problem)

When you Copy Monitor Walls and their Opening, the Openings will reac to the farthest extents of the Family... Not just the Opening element in the Family.

It totally SUCKS. Ive got a detailed post explaining it on my blog.

It really is lousy.

Login to Give a bone

so, pretty much, if we need coordination from the opening sizes, that i need to create a neutered door family for this project that only has the static size of the door without any options to make sure that the structural VOID opening is appropriately sized?

that would not be a major problem, as we typically have the coil box as a detail item and we can have that not being in the family if that is going to cause a problem for STRUCT.

other than that, we are not using bollards around the doors for this project either, so it is not a problem removing them also.

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Thats the gist of it. Or manually coordinate the openings. But ill tell you something, its a HUGE HUGE HUGE issue for me.

Revit's ability to nest items together makes perfect sense. If i know im going to have lights above doors, why not just put the light in the door, instead of chasing the doors around to PUT in lights? The copy/monitor tool doesnt respect that, as i learned.

Im one of the few (i think) that really LIKE Copy/Monitor. But it needs some TLC.

Login to Give a bone

yes, personally, i am in an infancy in using the copy/monitor, but it seems a foreign thought process to my typical revit method.

with all the features of revit, it would be nice if it would make a schedule or something of items that "change" on the copy monitor

i guess that might be moving into the scope of navisworks, and to my understanding, copy monitor is the basics of what navisworks does

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by btrusty View Post
    yes, personally, i am in an infancy in using the copy/monitor, but it seems a foreign thought process to my typical revit method.

with all the features of revit, it would be nice if it would make a schedule or something of items that "change" on the copy monitor
    There is a report that gets generated when you get an updated model from a consultant. Anything you are monitoring of theirs, will first tell you you need to coordinate that model, and then the report (which can be exported and kept outside of Revit) will tell you right down to the object identity code what has changed.