Thread: Filtering Elevation Bubbles

Login to Give a bone

Default Filtering Elevation Bubbles

2010 adds the capability of filtering Elevations and Sections.
    Great, I thinks! I can automatically hide all those duplicate bubbles to PRs and ASIs.

So I create a filter, select the Categories of Callouts, Elevations, and Sections, and say View Name...begins with...PR. Works great. Almost.

My Sections turned off just like I expected, as did those ugly pointy things on the Elevation Bubbles. However, the Circle part of the Elevations are categorized as Views, not Elevations and, guess what? There is no Category for Views in the Filter box.

Is there a way to turn off the circle (and thus the Sheet Name), or should I file a Wish List? Actually, I think I'll even file a Bug Report. I'd say it's a Bug to be able to turn off the Elevation arrow and not the cirlce.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Filtering Elevation Bubbles

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    2010 adds the capability of filtering Elevations and Sections.
    Great, I thinks! I can automatically hide all those duplicate bubbles to PRs and ASIs.

So I create a filter, select the Categories of Callouts, Elevations, and Sections, and say View Name...begins with...PR. Works great. Almost.

My Sections turned off just like I expected, as did those ugly pointy things on the Elevation Bubbles. However, the Circle part of the Elevations are categorized as Views, not Elevations and, guess what? There is no Category for Views in the Filter box.

Is there a way to turn off the circle (and thus the Sheet Name), or should I file a Wish List? Actually, I think I'll even file a Bug Report. I'd say it's a Bug to be able to turn off the Elevation arrow and not the cirlce.

The Trick is to make different types of elevation symbols. We use a separate filter for each type of elevation symbol. We have Building Elevations, Presentation Elevations, Interiors Elevations, and Architectural Interior elevations. Using a separate filter for each type will get both the points and the symbol as well.

I guess we learned to create the separate types of elevations (details, and sections too) in release 9.1 or 2008, so that we could select a type of symbol, select all, and hide in a view. This was before the ability to filter.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Womack View Post
    The Trick is to make different types of elevation symbols. We use a separate filter for each type of elevation symbol. We have Building Elevations, Presentation Elevations, Interiors Elevations, and Architectural Interior elevations. Using a separate filter for each type will get both the points and the symbol as well.

I guess we learned to create the separate types of elevations (details, and sections too) in release 9.1 or 2008, so that we could select a type of symbol, select all, and hide in a view. This was before the ability to filter.
    Thanks for the suggestion, Scott. I'm not sure this will work for us, though. I'm talking about the Elevation Bubbles that are created when you go to an Elevation View and say Duplicate as Dependent. That's the process we use for our PR sheets. Since it's a Dependent, I'm not sure we could change the Type. I'll try & report back.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion, Scott. I'm not sure this will work for us, though. I'm talking about the Elevation Bubbles that are created when you go to an Elevation View and say Duplicate as Dependent. That's the process we use for our PR sheets. Since it's a Dependent, I'm not sure we could change the Type. I'll try & report back.
    No it won't work for dependent views. Changing anything via View Graphics Overrides changes both the dependent view, and the parent.

I have to ask, why are you using dependent views for Presentation views? We just duplicate them outright. We always end up with different display settings in the presentation views than we do in the views for CD's, so we have never tried the workflow you are describing.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks again, Scott.
    Sounds like PR means something different to you than it does to me.
    I'm talking about Proposal Requests. This is in the CA phase, when the project is already being built, and we need to make a change to one area. We bubble the area with a Revision Cloud and make a Dependent View of it. This new View then goes on a (typically 8 1/2 x 11) sheet. The new sheet has a number something like PR-21 A1. We use a Dependent View so that any notes, dimensions and Tags are up to date on the original.

The problem arises because when you make the Dependent, it places another Elevation Symbol right on top of the original (which is usually on a whole bunch of Views). The new symbol has PR21 A1 in the circle, and the old one had 401.FL, which is what should show. We now have to track down everywhere that Elevation shows and hide the new one. Filters would have worked great for this, and they do work well for Sections, but the much-loved Elevation Symbol is made up of both a View and an Elevation. Filters only let me hide the Elevation part.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Dave,

Sorry about that. There is no way that I know of to improve on the workflow you described in construction. The only way I'd know how to "work-a-round" would be to duplicate the plan w/ detailing, and set its scale to something you don't normally use, like 1/2"=1'-0", and on that plan you can set those elevations to not display at a scale less than 1/2" so you aren't chasing them through-out the set.

Login to Give a bone

This is off the main topic, but we ran into a lot of problems with creating dependant views for our PR's and ASI's.

We ended up just using the original sheet that has the view. After we cloud and delta, we drop in a 8 1/2x11 titleblock group, align it over the view we want on the main sheet (like a picture frame), and print. We then hide the 8 1/2x11 titleblock in view once the 8 1/2x11 is issued.
    This way you are not duplicating views and all you small "sheets" are tied to the main one.

Works great for us.

Login to Give a bone

hi guys,
    i don't see category of elevation/section...etc under my filter option. in RVT 09 & 10
    Am i missing out something here? where can i find them?
    thanks

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Cool Re: Filtering Elevation Bubbles